Better Late than Never

I’m rooting for Polaris! :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for the support Marla! :heart:

2 Likes

Polaris has started breathing louder today. :worried: I am bumping this thread again for anyone that may have missed it. Please share the gofundme on your social media if you are able to as well. Thank you for your help.

2 Likes

I gave some, out of curiosity, have you tried bumping her heat and humidity up some? It isnt a fix, but it can sometimes help ease the symptoms until she can receive proper care.

1 Like

That really only helps a bit with species that already need higher humidity or heat. It can actually make the overall infection worse in those that don’t and high heat is bad for this species. I have had it get over 85°f once and she was staying in her water dish all day to keep cool. I don’t want to stress her or make her metabolism go faster given she is already sick. That trick is the same thing the breeder recommended when I first got her. Meaning they were probably doing that for a long time because her RI was extremely obvious and has remained despite treatment for nearly 2 years.

Fair, i know its helped with carpet pythons, but as you said, that is already their environment. Hopefully polarises is bacterial and not viral. Antibiotic injections can help with the former, but will do nothing for the later.

3 Likes

The treatments given to her seems to help her, and the tests taken found bacteria that supposedly caused it. But the vet I went to said she was fine when she wasn’t, so I will have to figure everything out at the new vet.

2 Likes

I went ahead and shared the link to the GoFundMe on my Facebook. Hopefully that gets more eyes on it!

1 Like

Very good to hear it is likely bacterial. Injection antibiotics can help alot with that! Hope the new vet gets you all sorted :slight_smile: sorry i couldnt do more!

2 Likes

I sent just a little something, though it’s not much. I’ll send a little more once I get paid next week. I really hope you and this new vet are able to figure out what’s going on with Polaris and get it resolved once and for all. She’s a gorgeous snake. :heart:

2 Likes

I am currently working on getting an appointment at the vet. It is a bit difficult when you are a decent drive away from it. I have to call them back on Monday to schedule one. It seems like it will be the 31st as that is a free day for my ride there and the only Tuesday they have available for the month. If she worsens then I will try to get an appointment sooner. She is still eating and drinking, but now appears to have a cataract in her other eye as well so she can’t see much anymore. She responds to sounds well though, so tapping on her cross bars in her tank is how I have been getting her attention for feeding.

1 Like

She is now scheduled for the 31st at 10am. We have an early drive ahead of us.

3 Likes

Best of luck!! Hope they can help you out!

So, update. They said she looks healthy aside from the large amount of mucus in her mouth. That along with it having gone on a while has made them suspicious of nidovirus. They ran a test and the results will be back in a couple weeks. If she tests positive I am not sure what I am going to do.

2 Likes

I was 4’ 10 all through high-school and didnt grow until into my military career now im only 5’5" but thats ok, now technically im about 4 foot because i have to use a wheelchair. As i say improvise adapt and overcome!

When i was 10 my brother who was 5 was taller than me :joy::woman_shrugging:

Ive always had tons of animals and barely started with snakes because my momma never let me have snakes. I mostly like inverts now but do have 2 rosy’s.

Im glad there are other ladies here as well.

Oh gosh, I hope it’s not nido. I’ll be crossing my fingers that the results are negative.

1 Like

I know that feeling! I was 4’ 7 until my sophomore year! I am now 5’ 8 haha. Took a while xD.

Just a remember Nido is not always a death sentence, it can lay dormant or minimally symptomatic for many years. However quarantine procedures would be a must if you decide to keep her. She would need her own room, and any time you interact with her, excessive hygene before interacting with the others would be an absolute mist (assuming you have more than one). You would also need to make judgement calls of when his her QoL no longer good enough for her. When its just some mucus or sniffles, the snake may be just fine, but eventually it may become much more suffering and painful, just make sure you are prepared not to drag it out.

At least thats my opinion, and opinions are a dime a dozen haha

I made a new thread and updated here

She doesn’t have nido and probably has some sort of antibiotic resistant bacteria. I don’t really have a vet I can trust to actually know what they are doing now. She is still eating and drinking just like usual and doesn’t have much mucus at the moment. That said, if she did have nido I would try to find her a home that already has nido positive animals. If I couldn’t do that then I would likely put her down. The health of my other animals comes first.

And sometimes thats just how it has to be. I only commented because to many people go “nido virus, must euthanize for their well being” even if they dont have other animals, or dont look at other options first.

Sometimes euthanasia is absolutely the best option for all parties, but isnt always necessary :).

1 Like