Bioactive Leopard Geckos Enclosure

Hi, I would like to ask about the issues surrounding the bioactive enclosure for the leopard gecko.

To begin with, the first question is - is the "loose " substrate safe when we are careful during feeding?
Since I have geckos everyone says that the only correct substrate is paper towels or hard clay with sand (especially on my country groups, but I very much do not like this environment ). What is your opinion on the subject because it seems to me that without a loose substrate the whole concept of bioactivity does not make sense.

Second question - what substrate mix would be best for creating such an enclosure?
I see a lot of information on the internet and each one is different. What works for you?

Last question - is the very premise of bioactivity in these animals a good one? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of this?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I haven’t really dove into bioactive enclosures. There’s a lot of research you may need to do for the proper arid cleanup crews because the usual ones need more humidity in there to survive.

What I can tell you though is you would ideally want to avoid any of the sandy substrate. Just in case. Even if you are careful with feeding they may still gulp sand if they feel like they need a vitamin boost.
Any sandy substrate I’ve used over the years has been just enough to dust around larger flat stones or tiles. Not enough to do more than lick up here and there

I have had good luck with coco fiber/eco earth as a substrate. They typically hate the taste of it and don’t eat enough at a time to impact. The downside is that it is very absorbent. So be careful about how much liquid is dropped in there.

Yep. Absolutely nothing dangerous about it unless you have an unhealthy animal or use an improper substrate such as calcium sand.

I would use a 50% organic topsoil 40% playsand 5% sphagnum moss or cypress mulch and 5% charcoal. Then mix in a couple handfuls of sanitized leaves in.

Yes it is. It provides a natural environment for them with constant but slow changing that provides excellent enrichment for them. It also allows for them to show natural behaviors that they couldn’t do in a normal enclosure. And unless you have a very young, sick, old/movement issues, or animal with neurological issues than there isn’t really many disadvantages other than a higher start up cost