Bioactive plant issuss

So I’m not a plant expert, my wife raises a ton of house plants, and I’m the animal person. We’re having some issues with our plants in her Bioactive enclosure and I’m not sure what the issue is.

Are they not getting enough light? Are the springtails/isopods getting to them? They weren’t established before adding the gecko, but I’ve had issues getting them to keep going… any thoughts or advice?

4 Likes

I for one have never had good luck with plants in my bioactive enclosures except for a Pothos that came from Josh’s Frogs. Imo humidity and type of plants have a lot to do with plant growth success. Right plants or wrong plants, too much humidity versus not enough humidity, nourishment for beginning plants such as shed snake skins mixed in the substrate (saw the latter on Snake Discovery?)

@ghoulishcresties is an expert on bioactive enclosures so you might get some good advice there……

Good luck! :blush:

5 Likes

Get a good UVA bulb! Grow lights on Amazon. Thats what we use!

3 Likes

I currently use the Arcadia shadedweller light which is what I believe @ghoulishcresties uses.
I’m wondering if I’m not leaving the light on enough? We started having issues when I had the light on for 9-10 hours, dropped it to 5 and it isn’t improving

4 Likes

Shade dweller for uv ideal, have for the fatties, but not for plants.

Arcadia jungle dawn is what you need :grin:

6 Likes

How many hrs a day do you run yours? And I’ll look into that light to add. So I should be running both then? I don’t want the plants to be getting too much light and damaging them that way too.

6 Likes

Also… thoughts on using this light? I’ve got it lying around from when I kept fish, and it’s meant for plants. So…. It would help yes?

Link is messy, but Its a fluval planted 3.0 Replaced link with screenshot

4 Likes

What about a “plant” light bulb 40 watt from Walmart? I would think that would be all you need……

3 Likes

I’ll probably try something like this before I go spend more money lol

3 Likes

Yes I agree. I never thought about a lighting issue……

2 Likes

Heres what I use for plants.

3 Likes

We have them on from 10 - 10.
12 hours :grin:

I don’t use uv on the cresties so just Arcadia will be fine x

2 Likes