Bioactive tank

I have a bioactive tank for a leopard gecko, she has suddenly been eating the isopods. How can i stop this

I’m not an expert,. I’m sure someone else could add but. It’s always good to have a bioactive up and running for awhile before the animals are in them to allow them to establish,. With that said you need to give area for them to hide and be out of his way. The problem though is that they both will be active at around the same time. Hiding spots will help but if they catch his eye there isn’t much you’re gonna do. I feed my leopards until they are full to the point if another roach or worm is in the tank they could care less. I’m not saying overfeed but make sure they are fed. They’re bound to eat a few isopods regardless of what tactics you try.

1 Like

There is a lot of heated debate over this sort of thing, but in general I don’t really recommend a bioactive enclosure for a leopard gecko. I personally think the risk of impaction from eating food off the dirt/sand/soil, just as she’s doing with the isopods, is way too high.

If you mean to ask why she’s suddenly eating the isopods, then you need to describe, in detail, your setup and husbandry practices before she was eating the isopods, and then you need to describe what has changed.

1 Like

To my knowledge they are new to reptiles, as they said they were in a previous post, so they likely haven’t had their leo very long.

1 Like

Changing to paper towel substrate.

1 Like

Here are some resources you can check out so you can make educated decisions with regards to leopard gecko care. I do not agree with all of the recommendations below, but I do feel the resources are useful to consult:

Melissa Kaplan’s care sheet

Reptiles Magazine Care sheet

Gecko Daddy’s recommendations

Another from a reputable source

From another vet

2 Likes