Bioactive Tips

So I have been intrigued by Cresties for some time, and now I am look at some options about tanks and things like that. I would personally want a bioactive tank with live plants. I am good with plants (I have quite a few orchids, pathos running around) and would set up the tank quite a while before adding a Crestie. How do you guys go about making a bioactive? I have read some of the basics (for 2-3 months now) and would like some tips or stuff that you have learned from experience that wouldn’t be included in a basic overview. Thanks so much in advance, can’t see were this takes me :laughing:

4 Likes

So I guess it depends what time you have and what you want the overall outcome to be.

My Cresties enclosures are bioactive, but I’ve only used the backdrop the enclosures usually come with, I do plan to one day make my own background with pots in it so I can add more plants up top. But I’ve made some mini hanging baskets that I’ve put in.

I’d suggest to stick with plants that are hardy, I’ve had bio-active enclosures for almost 3 years and they recently had mildew and limescale marks on them so needed a little scrub. I found most of the plants were okay with the scrub but others were damaged.

Check the plants are safe, but also the plants requirements… Some require little or lots of light etc.

I prefer making my own soil blend but you can buy the mix, I haven’t found much difference in the overall outcome. Are you planning to make your own mix?

I will add a pic of one of the enclosures that I have completed (and happy with), you can do so many different things with them.

1 Like

I was considering making my own mix. I love doing things like that, you know D.I.Y

1 Like

Make sure to have a clean up crew, at first you will likely still need to spot clean but my bioactive has enough springtails and isopods that I don’t even need to remove it anymore. As far as the background I used a flat piece of cork bark, I ended up cutting it perfectly so I didn’t even need to glue it in. If you wanted to you could easily add plants to the background. As far as plants and branches I would recommend putting a lot of branches and sticks to climb on and then adding high cover plants like pothos.

3 Likes

Background wise,
We do expanding foam with cork pushed into it, branches also depending on layout you want. Then when dry carve into it, all the shiny layer off!
Then we use gorilla glue and add substrate.
Last couple I’ve done I used wood glue, you mix the substrate in with it to a gooey consistency and stick it on the foam.
We’ve made all of ours, very fun! :blush:

3 Likes

Also make sure lots of branches! Mine climb a lot and use all the space, most do, so I have lots of climbing branches for them. Cork tubes work also but I fill them with sphagnum moss so I don’t lose a crestie!
Also if breeding in the future, don’t plant the bottom of the females viv. You will have a hard time finding eggs and will have to remove the plants to do so :woman_facepalming:t2:
Learnt that the hard way! Removed a peace Lilly yesterday from one of the female groups vivs, 3 eggs under it! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ha all my enclosures are planted at the bottom lol that will be fun!

I can’t wait to do the back and sides myself, but I just don’t have the time or space with curious little fingers around.

I use coconut hides and bridges of I can’t get the branches up high enough, but definitely lots up high.

You’ll find you’ll change that! Ours were planted, looked amazing. But with eggs being laid if you don’t find them and they hatch, they will most likely be eaten! :grimacing: Also they’ll dig the plants up, ours laid under the plants!
Looks nice but a pain with breeding. So males fully planted and pretty, females mostly climbers and up top :sweat_smile:
Works best I’ve found although a tad gutting!
:weary::joy:

2 Likes

I will have to see how it goes when I start breeding them lol

One of my females does East insects unless in her food bowl, so she might be a good one to start with lol she use to not eat bugs but I’m slowly getting her to eat them, it’s been an extremely slow process :pensive:

1 Like

@erie-herps and @ghoulishcresties
erie-herps , I we definitely loving the idea of lot of branches with pathos and different types of climbing vine.
As for what ghoulishcresties said about what to do if it is a female, I have definitely taken this in to consideration because I am only looking at probable female as of now. I know that it may end up being a male but at least it looks a little bit more promising towards the female.

2 Likes

I have purchased several probable females but all turned male :disappointed:

1 Like

If you know they’re say 10/15 grams before you buy. You can’t be wrong!
I check all mine at around 5, (2/3 months) then again at 10g and touch wood not been wrong yet! :sweat_smile:

I am the same, I now check them around 7 grams and again at around 15/20 grams.

I’ve got one male last weighed at 22g but still no bulge! He definitely has pores so will be interesting to see when he decides to drop them.

Only problem with buying probable female, is if you check them and find pores, you can’t really complain as it was stated as possible female.

Well I guess it doesn’t matter, it was got sold today. But I will continue to look. The reason I was going with probable is because I was going with a breeder quality animal.

1 Like

Oh buggery!
Nothing lasts atm!
If you’re breeding in future then, I personally would recommend going for lineage, or atleast getting one from a ‘breeder’ with a name if you get what I mean!

2 Likes

Yes it was from a sought out lineage.

2 Likes

Hopefully there will be another you like soon :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I assume there will be too! :joy:

1 Like

I have purchased most of my Cresties young. I like to see them grow, it does help that they are cheaper younger. But is also why I have so many males lol

1 Like

Main reason why I was going with a probable female was because it would also give me some time to save up for the male a little bit later. When baby was confirmed female I would make that purchase, but if it turns out to be a male I could buy an adult female later.