Biological Canvas 2022 Breeding Season Clutch Photos

I went kinda crazy with the photos on this one. Should be pretty obvious why :slight_smile:

Thinking I hit the YB Confusion Dreamsicle!!!

5 Likes

Here’s another dreamsicle from that clutch.

I’m thinking BH YB Dreamsicle on this one but maybe it’s Confusion too? If so it’s the all gene animal from both parents and just insane if I hit that.

5 Likes

Here’s the other straight lav from the clutch.

I’m thinking Confusion Lav on this one, maybe it is just YB Lav? Maybe Confusion YB Lav? I tried for a belly photo but they were very squirmy this morning. I’ll get some comparison photos of it next to the other lav that I dont think is Confusion after they’re eating.

I love the head/neck pattern on this one. Lots of dark orange splotches pushing through that I had some trouble capturing.

6 Likes

For identification purposes I’m going to consolidate some photos from this clutch and number them so I can get some outside opinions on ID.

5 Likes

I’m no help when it comes to the dreamsicle and bh and confusion, but I just want to say that these are incredible and you take great photos!

2 Likes

Thank you Nathan!

I’m all about that white balance :). Makes a huge difference, been using this card for almost 2 decades now:

Pre-White Balance

Post-White Balance

4 Likes

Hey I remember seeing that card on The Boa Forum. Have you made a post about your current equipment you are using?

2 Likes

Good eye Randy, that’s the exact same white balance card I’ve been using since I got into reptiles in 2003.

I don’t think I’ve really gone over my setup much but it’s still basically the same as the early 2000’s. DSLR with a high powered flash pointed at the ceiling for indoor photos. No flash outside. I only recently (a year or two ago) upgraded from my old DSLR (Nikon D50) from 2003 to a camera that is considered outdated by todays standards (Nikon D610). I only upgraded because my D50 broke. The D610 is a “full frame” camera with much better low light performance and 3x the megapixels. The extra megapixels allow me to do tight crops while keeping the image very sharp. That’s how I do all those very close macro close ups. I’m still rocking the same old lens from the 2000’s (Nikon 60mm F2.8). Much of it is just years of trial/error shooting and processing many thousands of photos.

4 Likes

C2 - PastelDreamM1 just had his second shed. They pull in quite a bit more color after a few meals and their second and third sheds.

5 Likes

Super Pastel Dreamsicles are shedding out! Here’s the first one. They have a nice soft look to them with quite a bit of white space. It will be interesting to watch them develop over time and pull in those lavenders.

In this shot you can kind of see where the pattern and color intensity suddenly shifts. It wanted to be a pastel dreamsicle but the super pastel genes took over and said “nope!” :laughing:.

3 Likes

Sibling to that Super Pastel above just shed out. The sole Pastel Dreamsicle of the clutch (the rest are supers!). Turned out NICE!

4 Likes

Check out how this Pastel Pied has developed. First animal I posted in this thread:

I’ve noticed a huge variation between pastel pieds and the best examples are stunning!

4 Likes

Here’s the next Super Pastel Dreamsicle to shed out. Looks very similar to the first one. The 3rd and final one of the clutch is still holding out.

Lots of striping and white space. I have no idea how these will develop over time but they’re genetic powerhouses regardless!

4 Likes

The entire 4 egg clutch from Pastel Dreamsicle x Pastel Dreamsicle shed out!
All girls!

Compared to my last dreamsicle clutch these were very easy to ID. The supers are very obvious. The statistical probabilities indicated I should have got 1 super, 2 pastel dreams, and 1 regular dream. Instead I got 3 supers and 1 pastel dream. Slayed the odds on the sex ratios and genetics!

You can see in the photos how much the standard pastel dreamsicle contrasts the supers.

3 Likes

I just want to say I really like the “soft” look that the super pastels have.

1 Like

I agree, it’s a welcome change from the typical high contrast patches of white/orange that most dreamsicles exhibit. No idea how they will develop over time… I have to assume they will fade out but maybe I’m wrong and they’ll be very unique and cool looking adults. Genetic powerhouses regardless since they’ll throw all pastels!

1 Like

Updated photos of these two clutch males after their second shed. From past experience I think this is where standard dreamsicles peak in regards to color intensity, over the next 6 - 12 months the pastel versions will begin to pull ahead.

Dreamsicle Female

Pastel Dreamsicle Male

I think this guy is going to be a very cool adult being completely front loaded. The white bottom half will stay perfectly white and the color up front will keep getting better. You can already see the color coming in on his face.

4 Likes

The boy is super lush! I love the half and half look.

1 Like

Confusion Lav (het pied) probable YB.

Sexed this girl this morning. Very cool to get a female.

4 Likes

YB Confusion Dreamsicle

2nd shed down!

Bit of an emoji:

4 Likes