Birds catagory

Been asked by an bird breeder if there is a market for and, will there be a catagory for birds.

6 Likes

My guess is no. Pretty much the only birds that do well with shipping are poultry (chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, pheasants, quail, etc.). while yes, there are a lot of different types of poultry and a large market for them, there are so many places where they are available it wouldn’t be a great idea. The reason why aquatics and plants were added is due to them and the reptile hobby overlapping if that makes sense. Poultry and birds in general don’t overlap as much (well unless you are feeding them to reptiles) with reptiles.

But then again I could be completely wrong. @eaglereptiles

4 Likes

I can see the argument that birds overlap as fellow “exotic”. I almost always see a parrot breeder or four at ‘Exotic Pet’ shows at any rate

As far as adding them to the Market, definitely a question for @eaglereptiles or maybe @brittni-admin to raise with the boss man. Even is they cannot be easily shipped, there is a ‘Local Pick-Up Only’ option on the site and I have certainly seen a few breeders exercise that

6 Likes

I haven’t been to an expo without having multiple birds screaming in my ear. But I was more saying that birds are a completely different ball game in pretty much every aspect of keeping them.

4 Likes

Heck, lets just do it! I’d kinda like to have a bird.

1 Like

I absolutely agree with you. But I also feel that way about crocodilians, monitors, Burms, retics, anacondas, etc…

4 Likes

I don’t necessarily disagree with that but don’t agree either. All of those can be kept relatively similar to other reptiles just with more precautions and specialized care (obviously I am drastically simplifying it but just to keep short). Birds need constant feeding, massive amounts of space compared to their size, daily cleaning for indoor birds, tons of expensive toys, are extremely loud, are super smart and a lot can learn to escape, etc, etc, etc.

I am not saying that any of the ones you mentioned are any easier to keep than birds I am just saying that the difference between, lets say, a boa and a bird is going to be a much greater change than a boa and a burm

3 Likes

No, no you would not like a bird. :sweat_smile: They are A LOT of work (depending on the species)

4 Likes

I’m not sure about birds on the market side but i think there should be a category over here on the forum for any bird talk lol

3 Likes

At this time MorphMarket does not plan to add Birds or Mammals. Unfortunately, this could cause issues for the site, since these types of animals often lead to more pushback from advocacy groups like PETA. There are also logistical and legal considerations that would need to be made. Adding these categories would be very expensive and time-consuming, as well. We believe it is in the best interest of the site and the site’s users to keep the species limited. We aren’t totally opposed to the idea, but this would be something for us to look at in the distant future.

4 Likes

You wait for people to be asking for small furries, cats and dogs next! :joy:

Was already asked back along and I had it politely tell them it’s for reptile/amphibians only and point them to other sites…

4 Likes

Thank you for all your responses, the arguments for and against are great.
i can totaly see the complexatise involved with transport and husbandry of exotic birds.

3 Likes