Birth Deformity

Given there were temperature fluctuations that were extreme enough to cause a lack of eyes in one hatchling, I wouldn’t be surprised if it could have jungle patterns from incubation issues as well. Of course you will have to wait until they shed to be sure.

4 Likes

I think a big question is whether the mouth deformity allows them to use their tongue.

Last season I hatched one that required assist feeding. It took me a few months to realize they had a barely noticeable underdeveloped jaw but that it affected their tongue making it useless. Even with normal sight and heat sensing, 9 months later and they are still are having a tough time eating without a lot of care. They seem to slowly be learning to have feeding response triggered from sight/heat, but it’s still a struggle just from missing their sense of smell.

So without both sight and smell (and potentially limited heat pit functionality) I would carefully consider how they might ever learn to sense food and whether there’s any chance at thriving.

10 Likes

30-31 degrees Celsius

1 Like

Looks like a pastel kingpin. More pin pattern will likely show up after 1st shed. Kingpins are often washed out towards the lower part of body anyway, add pastel and even more so.

2 Likes

@snaxxs Yeah, we figure it’s an Emperor Pin - pastel, lesser, pinstripe.

If it is able to eat, it should be just fine.
I know of several Ball Python’s born with no eyes that have done perfectly fine.