Birthday Eggs! The best present!

This little girl is Hawthorne. She’s under 200 grams, and has never been bred. Today she surprised me by refusing food, something that’s very unusual for her. Whenever a female (non-hatchling, obviously) refuses food for me, I always get a bit suspicious and have to palpate them. Sure enough, she feels very gravid. Hopefully she’ll just reabsorb!

7 Likes

Oh dear, naughty Hawthorne! She’s certainly beautiful. She just wants to be like the big girls. Hopefully she’ll reabsorb, as you say.

5 Likes

She’s crazy small so I can imagine it would be nerve wracking if she decided to go for it and carry eggs long-term.

5 Likes

Even the small ones typically do well when laying, but even still, I’ll be worrying about her!

7 Likes

Clutch number 3 this year. Mom is not done laying, so just a little sneak peek so as not to disturb her too much. It looks like there might be a fair number of slugs in this clutch, but I see some good looking ones too.

8 Likes

Clementine’s eggs - the one without veins never did develop any and finally went moldy. The good one beside it has some dew drops on it.

8 Likes

Yay! Bring on those babies and keep us posted! New life is wonderful and always amazing! :+1::blush::snake:

5 Likes

I think Sparrow is done laying this morning. 16 eggs, but unfortunately only 3 are good.

Clover, the snake in the initial post of this thread, double clutched this morning. I did not re-pair her. She’s not done laying yet, but so far she’s laid 7 eggs, but only maybe 2 of them look good.

8 Likes

Pardon my ignorance, but Is it normal for corns to have quite a few slugs? I ask coming from ball pythons where the clutch sizes in general are quite a bit smaller, so I wasn’t sure.

5 Likes

No, not really. I would say the average clutch size is about 12-20, with maybe a couple slugs. My girls usually have about 16, usually with no slugs. Double clutches, if you haven’t re-paired the female, are usually quite a bit smaller and have more slugs.

8 Likes

Awwwwww man! I’m sorry for the low good egg count! But those few good eggs will be precious to you I am sure!

I do want to see what comes out of those eggs eventually……:pray::heart::blush::snake:

5 Likes

Hooray for good eggs! This season is a challenging one, it seems. Looking forward to seeing hatchlings from Clover’s first clutch before long!

6 Likes

I haven’t had nearly the challenges you and Jess have had this year, but it’s been a weird season over here nonetheless. I think because I don’t brumate and we had a really mild spring, my snakes’ schedules are all funky. And most of mine that are breeding this year are first-timers, so that can add a bit of extra challenge as well.

Clover finished laying her eggs, for a total of thirteen. I put seven of them into incubation, but I think only 3 or 4 of them are potentially fertile.

6 Likes

Glad your session is less distressing, even though it’s a strange one. Hopefully you’ll get beautiful, healthy hatchlings!

I don’t brumate either, and mine were a bit late to start this year. All three males I paired were virgins, as was Aria. Two females were older girls for a last season. One of them is apparently not going to lay, so I think I’m done unless Sunlight lays a double clutch. She won’t be re-paired. Her post-lay shed is the next event here.

6 Likes

Caught this bit of movement in one of my first clutch’s eggs. They could be pipping any day now, although none have dimpled yet.

9 Likes

Some girls like to use the lay box like this! (But it’s okay. She’s only 6 days out from pre-lay shed, so she’s still scoping out the best spot.)

8 Likes

That’s so cool! The little noodle doodle has the squirmes! :blush::+1:

6 Likes

That’s so cool! That movement is always a thrill. Nicely captured.

5 Likes

It’s time! Day 77, first pip!

8 Likes

Expecting all aneries and anery tesseras in this clutch. Possibly only anery tesseras if the dad is a super tessera.

11 Likes