Black pastel and something else? Also another for my sanity

I got this gorgeous black pastel PH pied. However, I feel like there’s something else going on. Barnhart line maybe? Some Trick? Just a fun example of a black pastel? What do you guys think.

And since I have you here… I feel like I’m losing my mind a bit. I’ve had this girl for 8 years now and I was looking at her the other day and I realized… I don’t think she’s a normal, I think she’s a hidden gene woma. Am I crazy?? And yes… We had a shed issue that’s cleared up and figured out.

3 Likes

I would have to agree with this assumption but cant say for sure since I dont have a huge amount of experience with either gene. The other girl however is definitely not a normal. I see spider clear as day with your girl as well as enchi but she could also just be a strange patterned spider too.

4 Likes

not sure on the black pastel, but thats definitely a hgw

1 Like

HGW crossed my mind but as far as I know it does not have white sides like the snake in the last pic does. Spider is notorious for white sides.

4 Likes

What was the Dam and Sire of the Black Pastel?

And I’d agree with Nathan, looks to be a Spider. White sides are the giveaway. I could agree with Enchi, does appear to be there but I’m not the best with Enchi so definitely don’t take my word on it.

3 Likes

The first one I think is just a Black Pastel with influence from the het Pied. A lovely snake.

Your big girl is 1000% spider at least.
The only reason i would disagree with Nathan’s guess of Enchi is the neck pattern.
If you can post a picture of her once she is out of shed it will be much easier to spot Enchi in there.

2 Likes

Can do! I was so stuck on hgw I didn’t even think of spider… I think they told me hgw when I got her, she was a surrender, but I don’t trust my memory very often.

1 Like

She was grumpy this morning but I hope these help! Thanks so much!!

2 Likes

Not sure, the breeder I got her from didn’t produce her either.

She is gorgeous and FIESTY which is fun. She’s getting better with handling over time.

I went through SO many pictures of spiders and she doesn’t seem to have that tell-tale “bar” across her crown like all the others do. And she seems to have quite a few alien heads on her neck… I know there are variations between morphs, which makes this all the more fun. As @nathan_e said, she may just be a strange spider.

2 Likes

Your BlkPastel just looks to be a regular BlkPastel to me, not seeing anything that screams “more” to me

Your other animal certainly looks like it could be HGW. I would breed it out to be sure, maybe to a Butter/Lesser to see if it makes SoulSuckers

4 Likes

No spider? I was near certain that this is a spider :thinking: HGW always seems a lot darker than that animal. Obviously your a lot more knowledgeable on this than myself, so I will take your word for it :blush:

3 Likes

You are more used to seeing young animals and not older ones that have undergone ontogenetic colour change :+1:t4:

The neck markings and the lack of a well defined head-stamp speak to not being Spider

5 Likes

this is the kind fo thing that really helps me… why a morph ISN’T something that looks very simlar. The differences and comparsions side by side have been a beast to get a handle on. I Have been using the wiki A LOT and grateful for all the advice : )

4 Likes

So HGW can still have white sides like a spider? That was the main reason for me to say spider.

4 Likes

Yeah, some HGW can have a low-level expression of white on their flanks

5 Likes

That’s a very fair point to make, for every one adult I see, I also see a hundred babies.
I will also say I have only ever seen one HGW in person, the fact it wasn’t a adult doesn’t help.

The head stamp is what I was looking for but the shed obscured it.

I like it when I’m wrong, it means I’m learning something new :grin::+1:

5 Likes

A goal we should all strive for :+1:t4: :+1:t4:

6 Likes

That is for sure hidden gene woma.

4 Likes