Black pastel line identification help

Poop! Any other gene that makes a solid dark snake with black pastel?

I believe Razor does, it’s not completely solid black but close. If you’re going for the darkest black without any issues, a Super Mahogany is your best bet.
Or look into LC Black Magic. There are none in the states that I’m aware, but the Supers are gorgeous and mixed with Black Pastel I believe would be a very very dark snake if they aren’t in the same complex. You can order them from Europe.

3 Likes

Solid dark snake safe option is the suma. The super mahogany. Black pastel makes a super with Huffman and hra but these snakes come out patterned. Black pastel Huffman lesser makes a all silver snake!

2 Likes

Also black pastel champagne hra/Huffman will give you a dark pied looking snake.

What @saleengrinch describes kinda looks like this. But the pattern is more stretched out along the sides with a Black Pastel Huffman or HRA. She is a Super Lace Black Back( Green Pastel).

7 Likes

You add champagne to that gal and she would be patternless and look pied! Very very nice!

2 Likes

I might have to think on that. I’m planning to pair her to my male Pied, but I’ve always wanted to dabble with Champagne. Darn it Shaun, I don’t want to get back into balls like I was before man :joy:.

4 Likes

Nobody dabbles in champagne! One clutch your hooked. Unpredictable!!!

5 Likes

Man she is a beautiful snake! I could really use her right now lol. I also have a black pastel thats supposedly het albino. I’m going to breed to a female cinnamon coral glow when she is ready. But I was wondering if he had some other genes too? :thinking: He has a strange pattern.

1 Like

Maybe you can help me as well. This is my male I picked up. He was for sale as a pair but someone purchased the female she was an albino pinstripe. HUGE FEMALE! but anyway he’s supposedly het for albino but does his pattern seem to give any indication of another gene?

1 Like

I don’t believe he has any additional genes. You are going to have variance in pattern between one black pastel to the next. This doesn’t always indicate there are additional genes. Very nice guy you have though! As I mentioned before realize breeding cinnamon x black pastel is pretty risky. The 8 ball (cinnamon black pastel) is a combo that is know to have a lot of problems. I myself have had a lot of issues trying to hatch these. I don’t even attempt these pairings anymore. Others have had luck with lower incubation temps. I have not just be prepared for the prospect of losing hatchlings and the possibility of having to cull the hatchlings that have defects. Ultimately the choice is yours just be prepared is my advice. Good luck!!!

2 Likes

Ok cool thanks! Yeah he’s really nice in natural sunlight can’t wait to pair him up.

1 Like

I definitely appreciate the info. This is my 1st time hearing of the 8 ball. I honestly wanted to darkened up the coral glow pattern a lil bit. But by her having the cinnamon that does change things up a bit for me. Definitely have to take that into consideration.

1 Like

Cinnamon black pastel is a patternless snake. So is super cinny and super black pastel. You can make gargoyles which is a als (acts like super) by pairing with hra or Huffman. This darkens the snake and retains a pattern. Think that would be definitely a good safe option.

2 Likes

Ok cool! Right now I have a super cinnamon coral glow and I supposedly have the daughter from him. These are the pictures when I 1st purchase them. He does however have the duckbill you mentioned but she doesn’t. I was told this what they were so this is all new to me

2 Likes

The duck bill isn’t a huge deal in my opinion. The main problem I’ve had personally is them not developing fully in the egg, and dying. And having badly kinked spines when born. Duck bill most of the time don’t affect quality of life. It’s a shame they have these problems Super Black pastel and super cinny are two of my favorites. It’s just not worth it to me. I figured I wouldn’t have these problems and they would hatch for me. In my ignorance I lost a lot of eggs and hatchlings. And culling hatchlings is just a terrible experience that I want to avoid as much as possible. I work a lot with the gargoyle complex and there are a ton of amazing combos you can make without super cinny or super black pastel.

6 Likes

It does’t involve black pastel or cinnamon, but if you’re looking to make a black snake you can’t beat the Abyss (Suma GHI). By far the deepest black ball pythons I’ve ever seen, I can’t wait to see someone cross in pied. And they don’t have any of the issues that super cinnamons and black pastels have

6 Likes

GHI is another morph I want to get into. I missed my opportunity on a male GHI × Phantom was pretty cool :man_facepalming:t5:

1 Like

That looks like a normal morph to me.

1 Like

Do you have any pictures of the Suma× GHI morph. I was checking the market I didn’t see anything