Blue Eyed Desert Ghost

Meet our Blue Eyed Desert Ghost :ghost: which I believe to be the only one in existence and if not certainly by the way she came about :slight_smile:

She was Produced by:

Male Pastel Desert Ghost x Butter Desert Ghost ! !

So if spell it right and memory not havin me on its caused by Parthenogenesis.

She is gorgeous with amazing silvery blue eyes and this her 1st year of breeding with locks every month for the last 3mth so hoping nxt time we scan she full of eggs​:crossed_fingers::pray:

10 Likes

I’m curious on how you know its desert ghost… if my memory serves me I believe even with partho they don’t necessarily create the monozygous versions …like in this case I was under the impression you could still get butter het dg or even normal het dg… maybe I am wrong though. @lumpy @saleengrinch or someone else may be able to correct me.

1 Like

Because in a parthogenesis event, one set of the mom’s chromosome’s are duplicated. In this case, the mom was homozygous desert ghost/has two desert ghost alleles, which means that no matter which chromosome was duplicated in the partho event, it’s going to produce a homozygous desert ghost offspring. Had the mom been het, a partho event could produce either normals or desert ghost (if we ignore the butter for now) depending on which chromosome was duplicated.

Unfortunately partho animals are known for shortened lifespans and being reproductively challenged (refer to this thread Parthenogenesis and null allele), so I would be hesitant to get too excited about getting a clutch from her if she is a partho baby

7 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous girl

4 Likes

Is it possible to see pics of the parents?

7 Likes

Was the F Butter DG dame ever paired with another BEL complex animal on a different clutch (i.e. possibility of retained sperm on a previous BEL project)?

2 Likes

Alternatively, are they sure dad was only pastel? Could he have been carrying one of the more subtle bel genes, hidden under the pastel and DG?

2 Likes

Hi Barry, welcome to the forums. That was my first though too.
@reptilian_rapscallions another good point. Like what t_h_wyman suggests some pics of the parents would help.

1 Like

No mate only ever the same Pastel DG :+1:

3 Likes

No but a reasonable thought, he has sired ALOT of clutches over the years to different females all as expected :+1:

3 Likes

Pastel DG x Butter DG :+1:

2 Likes