Boa Breeding triggers

I want to start a thread to see what triggers people try and use during the boa breeding “season”. For me I food cycle the females and cut them off of food in September. They will stay off of food unless I don’t see a particular female starting to swell after a couple months of a male courting her. In that case I will give that female a meal and a couple weeks to digest. Another trigger I use is letting the humidity drop about 20% during the colder months here in Arizona. That means ambient humidity is around 50-60% during the winter. I’m interested in learning from you guys so please share your experience👍🏻

4 Likes

So by dropping your humidity down 20% making it between 50 and 60% your normal humidity during the spring and summer is 70 and 80%. What do you mean percent like as take 1/20 of your humidity away?

1 Like

I slow feeding down in fall, but don’t completely cut it off. I use a light timer to shorten the hours of daylight and also drop the temps.

2 Likes

I feed normally up until introduction. I wait until it starts getting cold at night and hot during the day, usually October, to introduce.I Drop my night temps to around 81. I stop feeding entirely during introduction unless one goes into shed. Thats about it!

2 Likes

I typically slow down feeding in fall, but the big triggers here are the rain and barometric pressure. The years where it rains a ton in the fall the imperators are always eager to breed and I pair up mid Oct. The years we’re in drought, or where summer heat extends far into October, they are reluctant. Thus far this hasn’t affected my spring breeding localities, though we usually always get some rain in the spring.

2 Likes

Correct. Warmer months humidity is between 70-80% cold months between 50-60%. That is the ambient humidity in the boa room. Controlled by two humidifiers

1 Like

Thanks for the reply…I might incorporate that to make for a more accurate year cycle

1 Like

Almost the same methods you are using except I’m in NC. I do feed a little heavier in August before shutting down for breeding.

2 Likes

I am just starting research on breeding is there anyway to get more picture of swelling females at some point

1 Like