Boa Locality Questions

Ok. So looking through the market Ive become quite enamored with boas and have a couple of ads saved that Im seriously looking at buying. I just have to decide which it will be. I am more than likely not going to be breeding, but you never know. Anyway, one of the main concerns from the spousal unit is adult size. Shes not wanting something she cant handle herself if the need arises while I am out of town working. So I want one that will top out at around 8 feet. Which boas will I need to look closely into, and which to avoid?

3 Likes

If you are concerned about size and don’t plan to breed ever most males will never reach anywhere near 8ft. Most females wont even get that big outside of BCC.

If you are settled on boas and want something smaller all the the Central American varieties will stay well under those marks and not be a problem for your wife. Blood boas and Leopard boas are my favorite mutations within those localities.

2 Likes

We do animal education programs at the wife’s workplace. We want a snake with an impressive length, like 7 to 8 feet, to end the snake section with. Im looking at a motley het for leopard and kahl at the moment. I love that look of dirt all over them.

3 Likes

Id recommend central american too. Surinams dont necessarily get long compared to a burmese python, they are a very heavy bodied snake and my friends female is 60+ pounds. While the snake is docile it can be a handful. Males can stay smaller and it does take a while to get to that size but something to keep in mind. You know I’m biased to the surinames. Lol

1 Like

Any of the BCI female varieties should top out under 8ft. Unless you get a rare ultra-defensive/reactive/high feeding drive one, which I have had a few of in my time, your wife shouldn’t have any issue handling them.

Motleys, Kahl Albinos, Sharp Albinos, etc are all BCI as are most of the mutations. If you want smaller go CA, Medium/Large go BCI. Leopard originates from CA localities I believe so a Motley Het Leopard may stay a little smaller. Largest would be BCC (Suriname, Peruvian, etc).

1 Like

Yes, that is one dream purchase of mine! I love big boa lol :joy:.

1 Like

For a pretty BCC boa that will not get big like the Suriname and Guyana boas I would get a male Northern Brazilian BCC or a Southern Brazilian Amarali BCA boa.

Here is a picture of my male Northern Brazilian BCC. He is around 12 year old in this picture. 7 foot 30 lbs.

Here is my female Northern Brazilian BCC. She is around 10 year’s old in this picture.

She is around 12 year’s old in this pictures.

Here is an adult female Suriname. She is 15 years old and was over 9 feet and around 60 lbs.

5 Likes

Here is my adult female Southern Brazilian Amarali BCA.

3 Likes

Those are exactly what Im looking for Tom. Beautiful creatures!!

Those are such nice boas. I can’t believe i forgot to mention brazilians. :man_facepalming:

Trying to find a south brazilian amarali boa is like looking for chicken teeth!

2 Likes

When are you pairing up your North Brazils Tom? They’re really lovely.

2 Likes

It will be some time if ever as Apollo my male paased away a year ago. Have not found a new male i like yet. So Aphrodite is just a pet for now.

3 Likes