Boa popularity?

Do you think Boa Morphs will ever become popular similar to ball pythons and retics?

I dont.
The main reason I blame for this is the name.
Once you are told a ball python is non-venomous you feel a lot safer around them, but with boas, constrictor will always be in the name and it puts a lot of new people off.

3 Likes

I agree with @eaglereptiles

1 Like

Boas used to be a lot more popular (2 decades ago) however BP took over and won the popularity contest with their number of available mutation, and smaller size. A few years ago Boas ownership and interstate transportation were also in jeopardy which made some breeders think twice.

3 Likes

In my opinion it’s the diversity of the morphs and the smaller size that will keep the ball python on top. I own boas and balls and like them both, however I only breed the ball pythons because it’s so much easier with housing constraints etc, etc …

1 Like

As others have said, the mass popularity of Boas will never reach that of Ball Pythons, or Corns, but I would argue they are more popular than Retics (outside of the vocal Tic fanatics they aren’t as popular as many would think, which is a good and bad thing).

For Boas, the size, more complex breeding requirements, age requirements for breeding success all play into it. With that said, there will always be a contingent who keep Boas, and prefer Boas over other reptiles.

When I was getting into keeping boas were on the top of my list. Now mind you ball python morphs were really expensive 10 years ago. I remember killer bees were 4 grand I think lol. Also I didn’t even know about morphs until I saw one at a pet shop a hypo male… anyway I thought long , and hard which snake I wanted … ball pythons won. For one reason only size. Boss get a good deal bigger than a ball, and require a bit more care that’s what won me over. I will never keep something that could eat my dogs or cat.