Breeder collection Identification

Hey friends, long story short, we ended up taking in a fairly large breeder collection from a retiring breeder who, towards the end wasn’t managing his snakes as well as he could have been. We ended up with quite a few animals without any genes labeled or mislabeled and a few clutches he didn’t remember the pairings on or which clutches were together. So starting with the clutch of hatchlings he thinks go together and the pairing he’s pretty sure they are from we are hoping to get some help with some gene identification.

The mother is an unknown but as far as I can tell I’m thinking Super Pastel, Cinnamon, Lesser? (Pic 1&2). The Father is Labeled as a Spotnose, Het Puzzle, but I’m assuming he is at least Pastel and possibly Fire? ( Pic 3&4) yes, he had a rough shed, he had stuck shed when we got him and he’s had 2 rough sheds since at 90% humidity.

There are 5 hatchlings from this pairing. Hatchling #1 (Pic 5&6) I have no idea on. My best guess would be the parents had to be het for axanthic but, that’s hard to guess at. Hatchling #2 (Pic 7&8) Don’t have a guess on this one. Hatchling #3 (Pic 9&10) Don’t know Hatchling #4 (Pic 11&12) Super Pastel? Hatchling #5 (Pic 13&14) I’m not 100% she’s out of this clutch but he says she is.

3 Likes

The mother is NOT SuperPastel because you have three babies that are not Pastel. So mom is Pewter Lesser

Dad would then have to be Pastel Spotnose because baby 4 is SuperPastel

Baby 1 is a Lesser Spotnose
Baby 2 is a Lesser Pastel
Baby 3 is a Lesser
Baby 4 is a SuperPastel… Maybe Cinny
Baby 5 would be a reduced-pattern Spotnose

Now… You may also need to consider the possibility that you are dealing with a dual sire clutch or retained sperm. That would mean dad is potentially NOT Pastel Spot and is just Spot and baby 4 is from a different sire. That might also explain why baby 5 looks an awful lot like a Spider

5 Likes

I’m curious to why you think het axanthic?
You could always get the sheds tested I suppose though only vpi axanthic can be tested atm. But I would consider making sure the dad actually is het puzzle because that’s one of the hotter recessives at the moment.

1 Like

they were thinking that because of the axanthic-y look that hatchling #1 has

It doesn’t really look axanthic to me though, so that’s what threw me off I guess?

2 Likes

I agree. Too much yellow to be axanthic.

2 Likes

We were thinking axanthic because of how washed out all the colors are. 3 of the hatchlings are super light compared to anything else lesser or pastel i’ve seen so I was thinking it had to be something genetic. Just the high contrast between the darks and lights I suppose.

1 Like

Just the high contrast between the darks and lights with the super washed out color. We have 3 females that are supposedly het puzzle that we plan on pairing this year to try and prove it out before we shed test.

1 Like

Ah… I hatched out a lesserbee this year who started out grey and white. I know for a fact neither animal is het axanthic. I’m just used to lesser doing funny things I guess.

It took her 6 months to get her tans and a bit of cream in.

2 Likes

I used to hatch a lot of VPI stuff. Het’s are non visual. When you get into double hets you can start to see some crazy look but if I put Het VPI stuff in front of you next to the same combo that’s not you wouldn’t be able to pick them out reliably.

1 Like

Yes. I was saying the parents would have to be het axanthic. I was just lost on the lack of color on the babies.

1 Like