Breeder females not feeding

I have 2 females that have been locking with my males on and off since the begining of October. One hasn’t eating for a month now, and another not for 2 weeks. Any tips or information anyone can pass me?

1 Like

Welcome to the community!!! This is totally normal. Females go off feed when they are breeding. Most won’t start eating again until after they lay.

3 Likes

Thanks… assuming that that is normal… it could also be normal that some of my other breeder females are still pounding food? Because they are! Lol Guessing it just depends on the female?

1 Like

Welcome!
Yes, every female is different — last season, mine all stayed on food until right before they ovulated.

Earlier in the season, a couple had also stopped eating suddenly, then after pairing started pounding food again.

4 Likes

It depends where each female is in her reproductive cycle how she’ll behave. Females that are feeding readily have not ovulated. Typically they won’t feed after they ovulate.

Here is a great write-up that simplifies the entire breeding process/cycle.
Markus Jayne’s Breeding Pictorial

5 Likes

Breeding females will normally cease feeding around 30 days before ovulation. They could just be past their threshold for breeding and you’re going to see eggs in the next 40-60 days.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it!

3 Likes