Breeders feeding schedule

Breeders how often do you feed your male breeders, female breeders, snakes for sale, grow outs?

1 Like

I feed my babies weekly until six months of age, every 10 days until they’re a year old, and all adults every 2 weeks.

Approximately

I’m not super strict with it, if feeding day happens to be chaotic, I’ll wait an extra day or two, or if some of my females are looking a bit hefty for non-reproductive reasons, sometimes I’ll make them wait a few extra days as well

5 Likes

I feed my babies weekly and I offer my adult breeder males and females a meal weekly. Sometimes they eat and sometimes they don’t. I also don’t feed the max size they can handle so if it’s an adult I don’t feed bigger than small rats so they aren’t using all their energy all week digesting such a huge meal. Works well for me but I breed my own ASF’s so I can have food available when I need it and what sizes I want to feed. But do what works well for you their is a thousand ways to get the same outcome :100:

2 Likes

I used to feed weekly. I now feed my adults every 3 weeks (sometimes once a month for males)Since switching I’ve gotten my snakes to healthier weights and don’t have problem feeders anymore(nobody refuses meals) I feed my holdbacks every two to three weeks. I’ve noticed a huge change for the better and am glad I made the switch although it seems like holdbacks grow super slow lol.

5 Likes

Grow slower, live longer :+1:t4: :+1:t4:

4 Likes

The candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long.’ Makes sense to me on a common sense level.

The more I read posts here, the more you guys are selling feeding less often to me.
Because of that I have recently moved from weekly to every two weeks with good results.
I Just need a bit more confidence and evidence to take it a little further.

Anecdotal I know, but I have healed a decade long medicated stomach problem by eating less often myself. No meds anymore. I just give my digestive system a brake and chance to heal and my body a chance to increase Autophagy.

2 Likes

I will admit it took me a long while to get there as well. Travis posts and discussions are what pushed me in that direction. I will say i have had zero downside to it. And it also allowed me to slim down my rodent colony quite a bit which in turn has me enjoying the hobby even more lol.!

2 Likes

This animal has not eaten since the first week of November if that helps make you feel any better about the idea. Has a month and a half or so to go before he gets his next meal too. Still great body tone and musculature (you can see how he is flexing to ride the hook)

2 Likes

@t_h_wyman
That’s a good point. If I think about it, I have had snakes not feed for longer than that without any loss of body tone and musculature, or the ability to produce health offspring.

I have always believed that many snakes are adapted to long periods without food being available and as such are one of the best survivors.

I have always believed the idea of feeding most snakes less is more healthy, but I tended to follow the most common guidelines, not the most intelligent or my own instinctive ones.

Thanks for helping me help my snakes. I am going to take the next step.