Breeders to buy from

Besides the fact that it’s against Craigslist’s TOS to sell animals ( much like FB), I have yet to see a " good breeder" selling snakes on there. Its usually sick or misrepresented animals from what I’ve seen. No reputable people I know sell their animals on Craigslist

3 Likes

I agree that it is true that mistreated animals get put on there but there but ive seen a few emaciated animals posted to the market place so not everything is perfect.

1 Like

Well no matter what the forum or site, no matter what anybody does, its going to go against some rule. As for no reputable breeders advertise on Craigslist, you’re dead wrong about that. I know two that do. One even has a store on this thing too. While there are scammers, flippers, and people selling animals they have no idea how to take care of. Plus can’t even spell the type of animal either. There are the few legitimate ones. And, as for the names of the two breeders… Its really nobody’s business. So if I don’t tell that. Go ahead and call me a liar then. I don’t really care.

1 Like

One of my local breeders posts on Craigslist too, so it’s not super unusual I don’t think.

1 Like

It’s not unusual for “Breeders” to be desperate and lower themselves to the craigslist level, usually that tells me everything I need to know about a “breeder”

Craigslist does not speak of professionalism more of desperation and lack of marketing skills as well as lack of pride in your animals and yourself as a breeder.

To me it’s a matter of how you want to project yourself in this industry, personally I would rather stop breeding than lower myself to posting on CL

6 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: How to get Breeder License?

Did you ever purchase your ball python?

I’ve given this a lot of thought in the past week or so, and I thought it might be some benefit to you. When I’m looking at a particular snake I like, I’ll save it to my wishlist (so I can come back to it if needed) and then immediately click on the breeds profile/store front - whatever you want to call it.

I’ll look first for the feedback. If they have more than 5 positive reviews within the last 3 months that’s a good sign you’re dealing with someone who knows what their doing. More than 5 positives and I’d have no issue purchasing a snake from them. Now when I see a breeder has 20+ reviews BUT has a 95% or lower reputation I’ll personally go look and see what the neutral/negative comments are.

I’ve come across a few snakes I really like, but the stores are brand new and have zero reputation. When that happens I’ll google the breeder. Sometimes it turns out they are new to morphmarket, but they’ve been in the business for years. If they have a Facebook page I’ll check out what others have reviewed about them. If I see the reviews are turned off or hidden on Facebook that’s my first red flag. However, if I still really like the snake I’ll reach out to the buyer and ask for a veterinarian reference from them. If they hesitate to give it to me, right off the bat, I walk away. It’s just like me asking a German Shepherd breeder for their vet reference and if they hesitate - then something is wrong. No one should be hesitant to give you their veterinarians reference. My mom is a Veterinarian and maybe once a month she’ll have someone call her for a reference on a breeder they plan on purchasing from.

I like to look at breeders social media as well. Do they have an active following? Do they post regularly? Are they posting different snakes, and not the same snake from just different angles. If it’s an active breeder you can tell from their content whether they are truly in the breeding business for profit OR because they have a passion for their animals and what they are doing.

If you’re still looking I’d give it some time. Get your setup ready first, and if you see a snake you REALLY want (but currently out of your price range) ask that specific breeder if they are willing to do a payment plan for you. Don’t just get a snake in your budget that has no value or meaning to you. If you do that you might not end up liking it or appreciating it enough to let it live it’s lifespan with you.

Just my two cents.

3 Likes

I have sadly put it on pause just due to family stuff(they don’t like snakes) so I will wait till I move out. Your info and tips have greatly helped me. Thank you!!

1 Like