Breeding Because I Can

I decided almost a year ago exactly that I wanted to get serious about keeping and breeding ball pythons. I set a goal of breeding 1-2 snakes in two years time so as to get my feet wet. I don’t want to produce anything that I couldn’t care for or have space for at all times for it’s entire life. It would/will be cool to sell some snakes but I don’t want to sell snakes. I don’t want to deal with people, or sell anything to them. I know I will never have the space, time or means to care for every snake I do intend to produce. I see this as a set back overall. I also as many people come to find out that buying rodents and finding rodents is expensive. But breeding rodents can save you money and ensure you always have a healthy selection for any amount of snakes. I intend to breed rats and then start a few ASF, my collection is feeding on rats right now and I don’t want to feed primarily on ASF if I can help it, but would like to feed both. I also intend to stick to frozen thaw and only using live when needed. So I am now preparing myself to humainly euthanize rodents. Which has a small set up but deffinetly comes with it’s own bagage. I’ve been cleaning out the garage so I can frame up a small room inside of it to house the rats. I would have them going already but I don’t want to have them inside or really have the room. I didn’t come into this thinking I would breed rodents but money aside the freedom to control my own food source and quality of, is that important to me for all my reptiles. So this is a set back. I hope to have everything built and have a few colonys by the end of January 2021. I hope to be sustainable with breeding and be supplied by the end of that year. With all that I still feel I could be prepared for a small number of eggs by then. However I don’t know if in that time I will be ready for a small number of eggs. I still am preparing to breed for next season but also am preparing not to. I still have a lot to learn and be prepared for. I don’t know where I’ll be in a years time and I’m making plans for snakes. -cheers

3 Likes