Breeding Blue Tongue Skink advice

Hello,
I am trying to breed my northern blue tongue skinks. The one that I think is a male(though not sure) is literally pushing the other one around with his nose. Has anyone seen this behavior before. Later on, the suspected male bit the leg of the other. Does this mean they are both male? The other one is really passive so far.

The advice I’m going to give is general reptile advice not specific BTS advice.
Usually when males push another reptile around they are territorial during mating season. In my opinion this looks like the male thinks the other is a male when it’s actually a female. Make sure the female is of appropriate age and weight. Are you housing them together or in separate containers and then putting them in the same container? If you’re putting them in the same container are you putting the female in the male’s enclosure? If they’re not housed together I’d try putting the male in the females enclosure or putting them both in a new, scent free enclosure. If you have another female of age or you know someone who does you could try taking the substrate and rubbing on the female to make the female smell more like a female than she already does so the male thinks she’s female.

1 Like

Unless you 100% know both of their sexes then I wouldn’t put them together. If they are both male then you could end up with a skink missing some toes (or worse). Confirm their sex with a knowledgeable skink breeder. You also need to make sure your female is ready to breed, so ask the breeder how to tell that too.

1 Like

Unfortunately, blue tongues are extremely difficult to sex. There are some minor differences in things like head shape and body shape, but those are not always evident. The only way to confirm a skink as a gender without watching it breeding is by seeing sperm plugs or seeing the hemipenes when the skink is defecating. Due to this, the general consensus for sexing skinks is by observing their behavior when you put them together. I do have some evidence for one of them being a male due to what I think are sperm plugs and my sister saying she saw hemipenes once. That same skink also acted very territorial. However, I have no idea what sex other skink is. The only confirmed way to prove a female blue tongue skink is by it producing offspring.

2 Likes

My concern is that the other skink may be a male. It is quite hard to tell with blue tongue skinks.

I placed them in a new, scent free enclosure. I put a towel in there for traction, but no bedding because I did not want cypress mulch in undesirable places.

2 Likes

Whether or not the other skink is male or female the supposed male thinks it’s a male or isn’t sure. From what you’ve said about the supposed male being territorial I agree with you on the thought that it’s a male.