Breeding Feeder Rodents / Type

@akmorphs Source on the protein quip? My understanding is they need extra protein compared to fancy rats, and have never read that protein causes tumors. I just favor quality food over cheap stuff as a general rule, what you put in is what you get out, also would favor whole foods as treats (some veggies + fruits) over something like a seed mix or yogurt.

You’ve had these for what, 6 months? Did you see from your own experience issues with the food items mentioned above or just what was passed down from others in your research etc?

I’ve had 1.3 for about a week now, going to be quite awhile before I have a lot going but want to get a process down by then.

Hopefully that is accessible for everyone, but a pretty comprehensive care sheet compiled by the admins of an ASF breeder group I have been learning a lot from.

1 Like

I give my ASFs a variety of salad mixes, sweet potatoes, and fancy rat/mouse seed bag from PetSmart throughout the week.

Other ASF colonies like hard boiled eggs, but I’ve never been able to get them interested in them. Some people’s ASFs LOVE them, mine are just turds.

I’ve had them for a bit over 6 months. I’ve seen from personal experience and have heard from local others. My rats have come from extensive line breeding and aren’t normal bitey or jumpy like others have experienced.

Quality food is a good choice, and I don’t talk down about it, but it’s like any other animal. Over protein will cause tumors. Fatty tumors that won’t cause harm, but still its tumors.

2 Likes

From what I have learned so far getting a line that has been worked with extensively to get started is huge.

Most of the “cons” of ASFs that cause people to give up on them or think they “aren’t worth it” are behavioral issues and can be line bred out. If you get some good starters it could easily save you a couple years of work selectively breeding them. I’m hoping mine are good starters too.

I just haven’t heard protein as contributing to tumors. Many species of rodent are just prone to them…I had not heard of diet being a factor. Nice looking care sheet other than my question on that! Your logo is so perfect :ok_hand:

1 Like

Diet is a factor for all animals. Many people don’t think about it or talk about it.

Glad you got a good list going and I hope you’re able to get some good handled ASFs

1 Like

Don’t mind me its cleaning day. I just want to highlight that 3 years ago I could not handle any of my ASFs with out a pair a chain mail butchers gloves. Its been 2 years since I’ve been bit and I have no fear of sticking my face right into a litter of pups. Any aggression can absolutely be bread out of them.

2 Likes

For those that choose to feed dog food to their feeder rodents, red dye 40 which is common in most dog food has shown to be linked to tumor growth in rats/mice.

1 Like

I was going to post this in a separate thread, might as well put it here.

I experiment alot with their (ASFs) diet as well as behavior, trying to maximize yield while maintaining health and well being with in my colonies.

The best (all pellet based) diet I have come up with so far is an all mazuri diet

Base feed: Mazuri mouse breeder 9F (not the 6F); the higher fat content absolves the need for seed supplementation (18% protien / 9% fat)

Supplemental feed 1: Mazuri insectivore diet; small boost to fat, high boost to protein over base feed (28%protein / 11% fat). This is to replace the insect portion of their diet…I have absolutely no proof beyond my own brain thinking, but I think insects are a far more abundant food sorce for rodents in Africa as compared to Norway (home of the “common” feeder rat). I feed every 3rd night.

Supplemental feed 2: Mazuri mini pig youth; lower fat, slight boost to protien (20% protien / 4% fat). Fair amount of probiotics and whey protien, which i have found to be beneficial. I feed only once a week. If it falls on a night that I would be feeding the insectivore diet I feed the mini pig youth instead.

When supplemental feeding i use a 3 inch stone dish for breeders and a 4 inch stone dish for grow out. I place dish directly into tub before lights out and remove any left over food with in 24 hours.

I do feed them oats, black oil sunflower seed, spray millet, african night crawlers, fruits and veggies (when available). These are sporadic treats more so than feedings…to add a bit of variety and break up the monotony of a pellet diet

I don’t think there is any “one” perfect ASF food out there as of yet. I have experimented with various dog, cat, pig and rodent foods as well as seed, grain, dried or live insects. And this what is working for me.

I am playing with dried vegetable and fruit mixes right now ill let you all know how that goes

3 Likes

Great info! I think there are a few of us starting out with them myself included I’ll definitely be referencing this thread along with my groups to gain insight and share how they are doing!

1 Like