Breeding feeders

… hate 5G with all of my hate. I had a response typed up, and i cannot be bothered to type it up a second time.

I will do my best to follow this advice as money and space become available. In the mean time i will have to modify individual tubs within the 7024 system to match these stages as best i can.

4 Likes

I don’t see the larger tubs impacting the asf ability to reach food and water as much as it seems like it could. Other than the weaned having difficulty reaching, which can be fixed by adding a water bottle with a long nozzle and tossing food in for them to reach.

3 Likes

Just a quick update, they are settling in. One of them decided the food bowl was to be her bed, i filled it this morning, and they have relocated the food to reclaim their bed.

4 Likes

Typical rats!

I learned fast that food bowls inside the enclosure leads to excessive waste. They get it in their feces/urine and ruin it real quick. No manners or sense of decency with these rats, I tell ya :laughing:. You’re going to love how much better the ARS racks with overhead food hoppers and water lines are. Good to see they’re doing well for you!

4 Likes

Haha, 1 is curious about me, 1 thinks it can flee from me by running on its wheel, the other 2 hide in the corner if i get too close. They are interesting little animals, dont think id trust these ones not to bite me though haha

2 Likes

If the tub is to large you can always do what Earl does and give them a bowl of water. Earl changes their water 3/4 times a day, but he doesnt seem to have an issue with it.

1 Like

3/4 times a day isnt feasible for my schedule, i think making a PVC ramp they can walk up will be the more feasible option. It solves the food problem as well. It will be a bit od extra cleaning, but if its pvc and not wood, the cleaning should be pretty easy

1 Like

I definitely recommend that it’s PVC and it’s adhered to the bottom of the tub as flush as you can make it.

1 Like

Yeah, i definitely plan to try to give them minimal spots to chew it apart haha

1 Like

I was buying feeders at a pet store and at 4 dollars a piece for mice and 6 dollars each for small rats each week. Plus having to drive there and back an hour of my time. I have 5 ball pythons.
So the rat food has gone up and the bedding and i bought another 10 gal. tank. So for me, it is costing me more actually. I love raising the
Mice and rats but I think im going to quit rasing my own for a while. Im sure if you have 25, 60, or 100 Ball pythons to feed it would be worth it in the long run. If you only have a few like me, I wouldn’t.

3 Likes

I have 28 haha

I use CO2, it’s the fastest and most humane way to do the job. I have a large glass pickle jar and they’re out in only a few seconds. It’s never fun but necessary, I’m a firm believer in caring about and respecting your feeders as well as making sure they’re well taken care of even if they end up being food.

5 Likes