Brumating hognoses

For the breeders out there that brumate, whether it be hognoses or other colubrids, how do you brumate? Assuming you aren’t cooling an entire room to that temp, are you using a fridge with a thermostat set up to the desired temp? Do you need to open to ventilate every so often?

I’m looking more into hognoses and want to make sure I understand what would be required before I fully commit to it, and also waiting for some of my other snakes to find their new homes in the process.

I’ve got a mini fridge I’m using as in incubator, which still has a functioning compressor that just needs plugged back in. Assuming this would be a reasonable way to go about this?

thanks in advance, sorry for rambling!

3 Likes

I’ve converted a detached garage into
A reptile room. I will drop the whole room

2 Likes

I’ve got other species so that’s not really a viable option for me. Plus that seems like a big energy consumption having to cool an entire room to 45-50 degrees as opposed to a fridge

2 Likes

I just won’t hear in the winter. In fact some nights I might have to heat it. But I get it. That’s not an easy option for everyone. I’d be concerned with a fridge because they are air tight. Someone else my have a better option

1 Like

I remember someone telling me you can brumate a hognose by putting it in a small sterilite enclosure with ventilation holes and a water bowl and substrate. Then put the enclosure in a dark cool place such as a closet etc.

Just make sure the hoggie has digested and pooped any recent meals.

Other than doing something like this I have often wondered how the brumation process is done myself……good luck with this @nswilkerson1! :blush:

A fridge would work perfectly. As long as you open it once or twice a day then you shouldn’t have any problems. Another thing you could do is a small section of the gasket thingy (I’m tired :upside_down_face:) and that would provide some air exchange.

2 Likes

I use a beverage cooler. Most of them have thermostats built it. You just need to make sure that it supports the proper temp range. Some beverage coolers get way too cold. I also stick a govee thermostat in there just as a precaution.

My first year brumating, I used dollar tree tubs, sani chips and a small dish of water. It worked pretty well except they still move around a decent amount during brumation. Many of them ended up knocking their water dishes over. I think this year I’m going to use damp coco coir and completely forgo the water dish.

The process is really simple. I pull their heat and stop feeding for about 2-3 weeks. Then off to the fridge they go. I pull the heat a week before thanksgiving and they’re in the fridge the day after thanksgiving. Everyone has different opinions about length of brumation but I go for 8 weeks.

2 Likes

Yeah, the concern with the temp range is why i was thinking I’d just set the fridge up with a spare herpstat I’ve got laying around. This would ensure that it stays at the proper temp, and give me a little more piece of mind as well.

Definitely seems easy enough. Does the lack of airflow with it being a sealed fridge seem to be a concern? do you have to open and vent it every so often?

1 Like

I opened it for maybe 10 seconds or so every 2-3 days. Had no issues whatsoever. I briefly considered rigging a raspberry PI to a servo for automation but laziness got the better of me lol

2 Likes

I use a wine fridge for brumation! They typically have a better temperature range than a standard fridge! I keep the temp between 55°-58°. I also just drilled a hole on both sides for air circulation! Probably not totally necessary if its opened 1-2 times a week! I also use shoebox size or about 15qt tubs with deep aspen so they can bury themselves! I do offer water bowls but dont fill all way up because they do move around alot and it will spill!

1 Like