Brumation for Northern Blue Tongue

Hey would appreciate any advice. So I have a 10 month old northern blue tongue who two weeks ago decided to start brumation. No change in habitat lighting or heating so I’m assuming it was just instinctive. I turned off the heat so it varies 65-70.
My question is should I leave him be? He was of healthy weight and size before hiding. I poked under the substrate last week and just got some hissing and huffing. Would it be an issue to interrupt his sleeping at the end of the month to physically check on him to make sure he’s healthy? Hopefully someone has advice.

1 Like

First off, welcome to the community! If you want to, you can create a new introduction topic and tell us a bit about yourself!

now back to the topic- Make sure he has a constant source of clean water. I would actually recommend doing weekly health checks and bi weekly weighings.

There shouldn’t be an issue but if you notice he starts to lose weight or you notice any potential issues, put him in a tub with a couple inches of substrate and turn the lights and heating back on and make sure your basking spot is at the proper temperature (I aim for around 110*f) along with the rest of you enclosure before adding him back in.

1 Like

Alright thank you! So it shouldn’t be too stressful digging him out? I make sure there’s water but honest no idea if he even wakes up to drink. Unless he does when I go to work but when I’m home I never seen it.

1 Like