Bucket List Snake

We finally pulled the trigger at the last reptile show we attended, and procured ourselves a female false water cobra - Hydrodynastes gigas! She’s a little firecracker right now, but is so interesting to watch and interact. Just thought I’d share our excitement :grin:!

16 Likes

Very jealous! Super nice snake!

4 Likes

This is one of my dream species. They are so cute!!

1 Like

She’s beautiful. This is a snake I would love to get in the future

1 Like

That’s super cool. Congrats!

1 Like

You inspired me to read up on them and they sound so cool! Do you know roughly how much they weigh? Maybe compared to a 12-pack of soda or a really large/thick textbook or something? I know they get to be fairly long, so I assume they’d be too heavy for me to keep, but it never hurts to ask… :wink:

If I were super super rich, I could definitely have display tanks full of these guys at every entrance to my house. Then any robbers might run away if they see ‘cobras’ everywhere! (Just being silly :upside_down_face:)

2 Likes

@mblaney I’m learning still too, but my understanding is the females can reach 7-8 ft and weight approximately 8-10 lbs. Males are usually smaller. This little girl is ravenous and has taken f/t fuzzy rats and cubed talipa already. There are even morphs - Hypo (which is gorgeous) and lavender (which is outta my price range). I’m looking forward to watching her grow and eventually getting a male for potential breeding 4-5 yrs from now. A dozen or so FWC eggs would be awesome!

5 Likes

Thanks for the info! Sounds like they may not be totally out of the question for me one day… you never know! :grin:

1 Like

Definitely a bucket list snake for me as well! She has a beautiful pattern :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

She’s absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations

2 Likes