Budget friendly options for gecko enclosures…. Go!

So,

I’m looking to potentially add another gargoyle, or crested in the future. I typically like to build out bioactive enclosures, and would like to know what budget options people have found. If I can snag a used exo-terra/thrive enclosure they’re sometimes a good deal, but some people want basically new prices for them, which is absurd!

What other options are out there that you guys have used? Debated getting a 20g long conversion panel, as I’ve got 2 spare 20g longs laying around. But, I worry about getting light/uvb in as it doesn’t pass through glass, and humidity would be a concern as well without good ventilation.

Open to all thoughts/suggestions!

1 Like

This is potentially a no-good idea, but I’ve seen people make custom fish tanks out of Ikea tank kits/furniture builds, so I’m not sure if that would be a viable option for you or how the prices compare!

2 Likes

Interesting concept. I know some ikea stuff can get pricy, but some isn’t bad. Next time I make a trip I’ll keep my eye out to see what they’ve got!

2 Likes

Yeah I have no idea how expensive the base materials are and what modifications you’d need to make, but its something to look at in the very least!

3 Likes

I have been using this enclosure for over a year and have been pretty happy with it. I also love the Dubia.com enclosures but I haven’t used the arboreal ones yet but I assume that they are pretty similar though

2 Likes

A big rubbermaid or sterilite container with air holes drilled in it… bam! $8.39 at Target.

Doubt you will find a cheaper one than that. I have kept multiple adult amazon/emerald/madagascar tree boas &green tree pythons in these type of tubs with no issues at all… they actually prefer them over glass aquariums, makes them feel more secure &less exposed. I’m sure a gargoyle gecko would do just fine.

4 Likes

Yep! These things are so versatile and hold humidity well! They are a little difficult to see through if you want to view your gecko however. You can even cut out a square in the lid and put some screen material in it. I have done that before.

1 Like

You can also cut &hinge a piece of plexiglass making a front opening door as well so that you dont have to pop the top off everytime you want in… helps tremendously with viewing as well.

Skòl,
MP3

2 Likes

Yep! This is so true! :+1:

A LOT of places like facebook kijiji craigslist or so on have old Aquariums that you can often get for FREE or for very cheap. A lot of people don’t know what they have, or just want it gone.

Then if you want it to be front opening there’s Conversion Lids to turn a mesh or open top into the front facing doorway.

Edit: You did mention the conversion lids. Oop.

And yeah depending on how Handy you are, glass cutting and doing your own build isn’t hard, just needs to be done with the right technique. Are you already a viewer of SerpaDesign on Youtube?

2 Likes

This is where my Ikea idea came from, Tanner is a genius!

3 Likes

Yeah I’d really love to try the vertical cabinet Ikea build someday. Just the kind of project i would have pounced on years back. I think a version of that would be ideal for a gecko.

3 Likes

He really is. I always want to go up to him when I see him to say hi but I always chicken out. I will do it one of these days :rofl:

3 Likes

Dude you totally should! That would be so neat!

3 Likes

I don’t know who this guy is but your community mom would go with you to see him!

I’ve been known to approach people like Troy Aikman (probably before your time :joy:), Bobby Knight, (before your time :joy:) etc.

So go introduce yourself next time you get a chance @logar Logan!!! :blush:

2 Likes

This whole post was partly because I might’ve bid on a gecko and definitely though no one else was going to bid… I ended up getting outbid (sad, but also probably not a bad thing lol)

I don’t really do much social media or YouTube anymore, I stay off the platforms entirely honestly. But

I’ll have my wife check Facebook for me, she’s on there a lot and we got one of our enclosure from there actually. I check Craigslist regularly just don’t see much in my area sadly. Is kijiji in the us? I’ve heard of it but never looked into it.

Tubs are something else I’ve considered, especially for a grow out while getting a front opening bio enclosure set up. I like the idea of a hinged acrylic door on it… I’ll keep that in mind.

1 Like

It is pretty much the Canadian version of Craigslist.

2 Likes