Building ideas

Hello guys how’s everyone day going I’m in the process of of wanting to get a ball pythons and I have a storage shed about L 8ft x W 6ft X H 7 ft and I wanna set it up so that it can be proper for a snake rack

2 Likes

Are you planning on keeping them outside?

1 Like

Last I checked storage sheds (the one you described sounds like one that isn’t connected to the house) have two extremes that will make this very difficult. They are either horribly hot or hellishly cold. I wouldn’t recommend it if it is the kind I am thinking of, unless you can safely set up a heating and cooling system.

2 Likes

Well I would like to make sure the shed is well equipped it’s insulated and it has drywall and power I’m just wanting to know the proper way to do it I don’t wanna put the snake in any harm if not I could also put it inside Its just since i have kids the wife is not really a fan of me keeping one inside

2 Likes

Yes true but the shed I have is insulated and drywall it also has power I was just wondering if there was any way I could do a nice setup in there since I can’t keep them in the house

2 Likes

You have a lot of options with how you describe your shed being insulted.
What part of the country are you from, or how hot does it get and how cold does it get where you live?

Do you have the budget to add a ceiling fan or a fan of some kind to circulate the air?
Are there any windows in your shed?
Is the floor insulated too, or just plywood?
What else do you keep in the shed, as in any harmful chemicals that could potentially pollute the air?
Are you going to keep just one ball or do you plan to get more?

3 Likes

I definitely hope to have an outbuilding/facility for my stuff eventually as well that’s the dream!!

1 Like

Hello I’m form United States from a state called Delaware its gets as low as 20 degrees Celsius of cold ans about 95 degrees Celsius hot those are about estimations and I was thinking of doing like a wall fan and no the shed does not have any windows would be good to put one and as of right know I only keep lawnmower but that will be taken out

Just for a bit of clarification for those that aren’t familiar with the USA’s climate, are you by chance meaning Fahrenheit rather than Celsius?

1 Like

In America we use freedom units, so yes, Fahrenheit and not Celsius. :joy: Would be a wild ride if it got that hot here.

2 Likes

Until you get a window or two in there for something like an AC unit to cool it in the summer or just circulate air, and a safe heater with a thermostat then I wouldn’t recommend putting animals in there. I have been in insulated sheds before, and even with insulation if you don’t have a heater/AC, it will get too hot to be safe, or too cold to be healthy for a BP. Heck, even my room in my house can get too cold/hot at times.

1 Like

Essentially you’ll have to finish the shed just like you would a home. You’d have to insulate the building. Otherwise you’ll never be able to regulate temperatures. You’ll need proper electric that can handle more than just a work light that most sheds are set up with. So you can supply not just heating for their enclosures but ambient heat for the room as well as any misting systems you may need. Weathertight door and roofing if it isn’t already. To help with climate but also to keep out unwanted guests. I don’t know about up there but a crack in an uneven shed door is plenty of space for a diamondback to get in, which ideally in a reptile room I prefer no surprises. But that’s just me. Definitely not the cheapest set up but it could be hella cool if done properly.

1 Like

Id look into what spray foam would cost for a small building like that. Not only does it insulate, it air seals, which sheds tend to be pretty leaky as far as air and a room that small could be a lot of heat loss even from what would seem like small leaks. It would also help keep out unwanted guests as brought up above. If it has typical shed doors, I think you’d realistically want to replace it with a normal man door that seals far better.

Electrical shouldn’t be too demanding, 1 circuit for a heater or A/C (since they shouldn’t be running at the same time) and a general circuit should cover the rest unless you have some big plans. I’d look into minisplit systems that could cover both heat and cooling for something that size. No ones mentioned water yet either, what is your plan there? plans for cleaning tubs and such? might need to think about what to do for a drain.

Its defiantly possible, but you’ll have to figure out if its worth it to you.

4 Likes

As someone who has a reptile room outside of my home I feel like my input would be helpful here. It’s inside of a giant shop though. So it’s insulated and was built before me for weed :rofl: so has ac, heat and fans. You can’t have reptiles outside without A LOT of electricity outlets and the room to be heated and cooled. Not sure if you said you would do those things or not. Basically everything your home has. I don’t have running water and have jugs of water ready for new water. Only thing that can be a pain. Hope this helped!

2 Likes