Butter or Normal

I bought this girl at the local reptile shop today. Is she a Butter or just a light normal? Her label said Butter. Just wanted to see what everyone thinks.

Thanks for any input.

1 Like

This is my Butter female, she’s much lighter in coloration.

Yours looks like maybe a pastel? I’m not sure though, will wait for better input but definitely not a butter. The saddles are too dark for that.

Edit: added a picture of my pastel het VPI axanthic girl (with her boyfriend lol)

2 Likes

I was thinking pastel as well @trnreptiles

1 Like

Yep pastel

Woo, great to know I’m not completely useless identifying morphs :joy:
I’m still new to it all so I suppose it’s good practice for me

1 Like

The color in the first image looks like a butter, the second image looks more normal. A young butter compared to an adult will not look the same. Can you get a picture of the eyes? Butter/lesser being a BEL complex usually have blue or grey looking eyes compared to a normal.

2 Likes

I’ve seen younger butters and they didn’t look anything like the snake in those photos. The saddles are more brown in coloration than black like with this snake.

The front half of the snake that is focused on in the first picture is what I considered as butter color. The second picture of the rear half of the snake did not look butter to me and is the dark banding or saddles your referring to. Thank you for pointing that out.

2 Likes

This is the best pic I could get. She didn’t want to sit still.

2 Likes

The eyes appear greenish to me which does also lean towards it being a pastel. Without knowing the breeding that produced this animal hard to say for sure but this would not be a butter.