Butters is now on the road to recovery!

I sympathize with you a lot on your experience with exotic vets. I have also spent thousands since getting into reptiles and unfortunately I can’t say I was often satisfied or impressed. Most of the time my own research was significantly more helpful than what resulted in going to a vet, which is frustrating because it really shouldn’t be that way. Whenever I ask for advice (not just here, but most anywhere) and get the classic “take to a vet” response I kinda just sigh because at this point I feel I just throw away money to achieve the perception of being a good pet owner when most times I get no answers and shot in the dark treatment that may or may not work.

I hope for the best for you and Butters.

3 Likes

I sometimes get that thought and it really depends on the vet. I’ll always suggest a vet visit if I think it could be parasites since they are able to test that. I’m currently saving for Mader’s Reptile and Amphibian Medicine and Surgery. It has many different illnesses and diseases and treatment for them.

2 Likes

I hope Butters does well!

I will not comment re: reptile vets because I have a very strong bias & views.

That’s a great text but it is quite advanced for a layman. Another one I use is the ‘Clinical Veterinary Advisor’ (Birds & Exotic Pets). When you read it, keep in mind that both were written for licensed veterinarians and have a lot of material about procedures, treatments, and testing that can’t be done at home. Since reptiles often need IM/SQ treatment instead of oral (like cats and dogs), a lot of the treatments are only available via prescription anyway.

2 Likes

I know it’s been a long road and I’m hopeful Butters makes a full recovery :crossed_fingers:

I’m glad someone is finally taking your thoughts into account.

Love the x-ray pic, thanks for sharing it.

3 Likes

I had a ball Python with an absess before and it made for a nasty experience. I’m a weirdo so of course I wanted to be there when it drained. My snake unfortunately was not so lucky. I’m so glad to hear that butters is doing good, hopefully she will make a full and quick recovery! :grinning:

3 Likes

a little late to the party, but im so glad the U of I vet was able to give you some answers! I actually live in Champaign, so all of my animals see the U of I team, from my cats to my horse to my exotics.

We have a fair amount of vets that see exotics in this area, but in my opinion none of them compare to the University in terms of exotic health.

3 Likes

Update: Butters went in for her surgery on the 4th and it went smoothly!

They removed a bunch of gunk out of her jaw, and then filled in the space with “antibiotic-impregnated beads” (as they called them lmao) which should hopefully fight off any remaining infection in there.

I also opted to do another culture with the material removed from the abscess, and so am waiting for definitive results back on that. If she ends up needing an injectable antibiotic then we will go from there.

9 Likes

I hope this is the end of her recovery and can continue to live a wonderful life with you. It has a been a long road coming :grin:

3 Likes

Sweet sweet butters has come through a long journey. I hope butters can enjoy the rest of her life and be a happy noodle :heart:

6 Likes

Fascinating to get the details, thank you for sharing! Glad she’s doing better and I hope she makes a full recovery for you. By the way, if no one else said it, you must be doing a good job with her husbandry, because aside from the associated swelling, she looks great. Good color and she’s keeping her body weight. Great job, We all know how hard it can be to keep a sick noodle, so you’re doing something right!

3 Likes

I know some people give me flack over it, but that’s why I keep most all of my snakes on a simple paper towel setup with their water bowl. No hide unless it’s a younger one that needs one for extra security — so far all of my snakes have done great on it, and with sheds they’ve done fine as long as I mist down their tub during the blue phase of their shed :grin:

Easy maintenance for me, and easier to monitor for anything odd going on

My hognoses all get aspen bedding though so they can burrow :blush:

3 Likes

Same as it ever was

2 Likes

So, just got this email back from the vet… like holy crap. I’m of course gonna go ahead with the susceptibility test, but…

All the antibiotics that the other vets had me give her before without actually solving the problem made the problem worse 🥲

Let’s hope this antibiotic will actually help with the bacteria. This poor, poor girl.

8 Likes

Man, that’s tough. Bacterial resistance is a curse in every medical field. Hopefully they’ll find one that works. :crossed_fingers:

7 Likes

Well good luck! Hopefully it’s figured out and the abscess doesn’t come back.

3 Likes

Good luck, I hope this works :crossed_fingers:

1 Like