California love

I just wanted to see how many reptiles lovers are staying in Cali.

also featuring my brown anole,

5 Likes

Bred, born and raised in Humboldt, currently reside in Placer.

3 Likes

LA reptile keeper here :sunglasses::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

I’m down in San Diego. Grew up here, but soon to be moving to Southwest Florida (Cape Coral).

4 Likes

I am in south Florida (treasure coast) I hope you like it here!

1 Like

I’m sure I will. I know my animals will. Always wanted to live in Florida since I was a kid because of the climate. My roommate/friend is from Ft. Myers and is also moving with me.

3 Likes

That should fun, it is always hot and humid :grin:

2 Likes

Went to bootcamp in Orlando and then School in Pensacola during winter time. Nice and warm…haha.

3 Likes

NIcceee what part? Im from East La

1 Like

Dang your up north. Im from socal, Ive been there only once

1 Like

Close to Long Beach

3 Likes

I was born in Ohio but moved out to Orange County at the age of 4. I have lived in other states and was stationed in different states but always returned home to California. I currently reside in Los Angeles however i want to move away from LA because of all the drama where i live and the high crime which nobody is doing anything about.

Ive been an invert, small reptile, amphibian, fish and many other animals from rats to pot belly pigs, birds, chickens, ducks rabbits. Pretty much name it and I’ve had it. If i could, id have my own small farm/zoo.

1 Like

Down by Disneyland for me.
Originally from NY. Took my oldest BP to CA with me just before the python ban hit the 5 boroughs.

1 Like

Byw im open to friendship from any Californian residents but in reality anyone can be my friends.

I really don’t have many friends and none of them like my animals so they don’t like coming over. :woman_shrugging: in reality my kitty is the only animal of any threat to anyone because she can be spicy and protective of me. My other animals have no ability to escape to cause harm.

1 Like

I live in CA, in Santa Barbara. I was born and (mostly) raised here. I’ve lived other places, but I keep coming back. It’s hard to beat the weather, and for someone outdoorsy like me, it’s hard to beat having easy access to both the ocean and the mountains. Plus my parents are here. Really the only thing that makes me ever consider living elsewhere is how ridiculously expensive it is to live here.

1 Like

What about the lack of water and California almost always being on fire somewhere? It seems like a huge risk to live in Cali with the wildfires lately. Also the drought getting worse as time goes on. Speaking of fires, isn’t there one currently burning in Northern Cali? Hope everyone is ok up there.

1 Like

Well yeah, fires and drought are an issue. And there’s the ever-present risk of a huge earthquake. But drought and various natural disasters seem to be a serious risk pretty much everywhere, so I’m not sure that I’m at any greater risk of losing my life or my home to a fire here in CA than I would be somewhere else to a tornado, hurricane, blizzard, etc.

Here in Indy we haven’t had any serious tornadoes or flash floods in a while. I have lived in the same house my whole life and we have never been afraid of losing it. The last flash flood we had was because the state sucks at cleaning drains. And even then it wasn’t bad.

California has always been a desert, the fact that people moved in and made pretty lawns and golf courses doesn’t change that.

The weather and access to public transportation and shopping that i rely on because i use a wheelchair is the only thing really keeping me here. I have lived more rural however not having easy access to things i need is extremely difficult. Like when i lived in Arizona. The nearest stores were 1 mile each way, there was 0 public transportation and the town more or less was one main road I10 that ran through it. So combined with heat, lack of space on my wheelchair to carry much going to the store was a laboriously difficult task.

1 Like

My home has never been seriously threatened by a fire (knock on wood). A few years ago, the evacuation warning zone started to get close, but my home was never actually in the zone (same for my childhood home, which is only a few blocks from where I live now).

Granted, that could always change, and I have an evacuation plan if and when that day comes, but I feel like there are probably very few places in the country that don’t hold at least the risk of being threatened by one natural disaster or another.

1 Like