Can fluctuations in temps for several min affect embryos in eggs?

Hi everyone, I’m a new breeder with my first clutch and they in their reptibator at 79-81 degrees with 90% humidity. Now, I noticed that there was a fluctuation of temps for several minutes that dipped to 78/79 and rose to 84. My question is, can this fluctuation affect the embryos in the eggs? I assumed that slight fluctuations would naturally happen in the wild, but I want to make sure the are going to be ok. Any knowledge from experienced folks are so welcome. Have a great weekend yawl.

3 Likes

Between those temperatures, no. Once you get over 85 or below 70, then you start getting into dangerous territory. Some people use incubators, others will incubate at room temp (I know @solarserpents uses that method), and obviously in the wild they’re laid and left. However I will ask, are you using the reptibator itself to measure temperature and humidity, or do you have secondary monitoring as well? If you don’t, it’s always a good idea to have a probe inside the incubator with the eggs as well (if not have the whole thing on a thermostat) and to check humidity regularly to be sure nothing is too wet/dry.

6 Likes

Hi there, thank you so much for this amazing piece of knowledge. I have a zoomed thermometer and hydrometer in the actual container keeping the eggs to ensure the temps are reading accurately. I feel so relieved knowing the temps are okay for them. Thank you again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello, @miosoti25. I’m not sure what species you’re incubating, but if they’re corn snakes, you’re totally fine. Nature does indeed vary, and the temperatures within the range you cited are well within what’s acceptable. @noodlehaus is quite correct (as usual) about the danger zones. Even if you’re temperatures were a bit too high or low for a short time, everything should still be fine. It takes time for the eggs themselves to change temperature. A brief tome when the air temperature was too high or to low doesn’t necessarily spell disaster.

I am one of those who incubate in a small room at ambient temperatures. There is some variance from daytime through night. This occurs in nature, of course. Temperature fluctuations within the acceptable range for incubation are not a problem at all.

Good luck with your clutch. What were the parents?

2 Likes

Oops forgot to name the species. Yup they are my cornsnakes and I can’t contain my excitement. Thank you so much for the wonderful knowledge, I truly appreciate it. I hope you have a wonderful day.

3 Likes