Can I put a big male ball python to a small female and move the female to the male?

Can I put a big male ball python to a small female and move the female to the males tub for breeding ?
Can I reverse the guidance?

I have been following it up to now but I am in this situation.
I have a big male and a small female that’s just ready.
She is in a smaller tub than the male (its ok size but she wont eat in a bigger one) so not too much room in her tub to do their thing.
Anyone had experience of this. Advice please.
Big and small

1 Like

I guess my question would be how small is the tub? whats the size of the snakes? I’d imagnie that they’d be perfectly fine in the females enclosure, unless its insanely small.

2 Likes

I don’t know it in gallons, she is in a 16 inch by 11 tub. She is a fraction under 1500g and 3 and a half years
He is in a 28" x 18 tub. He is over 2000g

1 Like

You would only be putting them in there temporarily…

Personally I would still put the male in the female’s tub. If she stresses out too much from being out in an unfamiliar tub she may not ovulate or may reabsorb. If you put him in and she seems irritated you can always take him out and try again later as opposed to her getting hit with new everything

3 Likes

I tried putting the male in with the female in her small tub, but they were just forced very close together in the confined space without the dance or the females choice to allow closeness when she was ready. Maybe I am just anthropomorphising.
I get your point about the stress for moving the female to the male making her reabsorb though.

2 Likes

I’ve done it that way several times and had no issue.

3 Likes

Thanks, what both ways? smaller female and moving her to the males tub?

1 Like

I mean moving the female to the males tub for breeding. Size is irrelevant.

2 Likes

Update:
Thanks everyone, I have put the small female to the large males tub a number of times now and they lock straight away.
Seems in this case to work just fine.

2 Likes