Can i put a milk frog with a leapord gecko?

I have read a bit and asked a couple people if it’s possible i have seen yes and no’s, just want a better explanation if it’s possible to put a frog and a gecko together, and if so what kinds and sizes.

3 Likes

No. The gecko needs an arid terrestrial setup, the frog needs a vertical humid jungle. Both are capable of eating the other depending on if one of them is smaller, and they’d be stressing each other out no matter what. Herps aren’t fish, they should almost never be kept together unless for breeding purposes.

6 Likes

Almost never feels a little bit of an over exaggeration. There are some species that live in social group. They are the minority for sure, but it’s a large enough minority that it’s significant.

3 Likes

True, but that number is somewhat slim. Besides, there’s no reptile which needs to be housed in groups, and even those that can be kept that way sometimes have problems. For instance, some people have issues with cannibalism with garter snakes and aggression with dart frogs. There’s also no seperate species which should be cohabited. Even within a genus, it’s not a good idea because of hybridization issues.

4 Likes

Hello @trapgeek and welcome to the forum! You have come to the right place for advice from knowledgeable, experienced, professional people! Glad to have you!

As far as your question, reptiles are not mix and match animals. A lot if not most of them are solitary creatures. There are a select few that can be kept in groups of two or three but only under close supervision by experienced keepers/breeders.

The kindest thing you can do for an animal is give it the best environment you can possibly give it according to the way it is supposed to be kept, to insure its health and well being.

Best wishes! :pray:

3 Likes

You are 100% right about separate species. But the odd the top of my head Emerald Tree Skinks, monkey tailed sinks, Australian Water Dragons and several species of turtles acutely do better in groups than solo. They are the exception though

3 Likes

Don’t forget garters, toads (my experience at least), and a lot of tortoises species (which I guess are turtles)

2 Likes

I didn’t know that about toads. What kind do you keep?

1 Like

So another thing to consider regarding keeping toads together or frogs together or tortoises together (land) or turtles together (aquatic), etc., even though these species (except tortoises and turtles which cannot be kept together) may live in groups in the wild, if there is a skirmish between a couple of them at least they can get away from each other as they have all of the great outdoors to run. But in an enclosure there is no place to run.

Just another way to consider the difference between animals living together in the wild as opposed to animals housed in cages/captivity……

1 Like

Milk frogs and leopard geckos cannot cohabitate. They don’t even have the same husbandry parameters.

1 Like

I keep American toads. I haven’t seen any other people mention it but in my experience they seem to enjoy being in an enclosure together. They will sometimes sit right next to each and even sometimes walk around together (which I find hilarious). I don’t think it has anything to do with “resource guarding” as they don’t do it all the time.

Another thing I found extremely interesting is feeding. I used to feed outside of the enclosure and separate as they were wild caught (for breeding purposes) and I wanted to make sure they got enough food. Once I noticed my male wasn’t eat well, I tried feeding both of them together and boom, he started eating better. Once I felt comfortable they were eating well out of the enclosure, I started feeding in and my male was kind of confused on what to do (they aren’t very bright) so he just watched my female eat for a couple of feedings until he realized that he could eat. It has been really interesting observing this behavior.

2 Likes

This has been a great learning experience for you @logar Logan! You have started with the same species together which is a great way to begin. Are you logging their daily habits/activities for future reference?

You ask thoughtful questions and take constructive criticism (given very seldom to you from your fellow forum members) very well! You are a “keeper”. :heart:

1 Like

@caron I haven’t been but I plan to soon. I didn’t actually expect these results as toads are known to usually do fine with each other if they are appropriately sized. I started noticing this behavior about 4-6 months after I got them (so 6-8 months ago) but I thought it was just a fluke that was bound to happen every once and awhile. However I started to keep happening. It kind of seems like how “social” they are goes up and down in waves.

I am really trying to breed them for 2 reasons: firstly because they are amazing so people should be able to keep them without taking them from the wild. and secondly so I can try and gather more information on their behavior.

I plan to make a thread sometime next year sharing my observations and go much more in depth than this post

1 Like