Can I run 32 qt sideways?

Does anyone know if I could run 32qt tubs sideways on this rack instead of 2 16 qt tubs per shelf? Would it work okay? It would be subadult male ball pythons.

1 Like

If the tub fits it’s fine. If the heat tape runs across the entire back of the shelf, you might have to get creative depending on temps.

4 Likes

That’s what I was wondering about because the heat tape does run along the back. Could I just set it to the standard temp or would it not work due to temperature gradient?

2 Likes

I can see the groves for the heat tape. But that does not mean you need to use it there. I have a shelving unit with 3 shelves setup for multiple bins and 3 setup for a single bin. I have the single bin shelves with heat pad/tape on one side and just secured it with tape. The other 3 I have it running along the back. You can either cut the tape you have now to fit the side or buy more and cut to fit so you have options. I would buy more and leave the back ones in place, then I can choose what ones I want to use. I could use the back ones for multiple tubs and 2 shelves for long tubs. Or any combination I need. Just only use the heat source for the correct layout.

4 Likes

Yes I agree with @ballornothing I actually still use a old melamine rack I made myself that holds 2 16q or 1 32q never had any issues myself. But I tend to run the temps in the 88-90 over the tape, because it’s a lot of area, but my ambient room temps are always mid 70s at the lowest. Just keep an eye on temps it can get very hot fast if you are not monitoring it enough.

1 Like

That’s a great idea! Would you mind sharing a pic so I can get a little inspiration.

I have since modified mine do to using larger bins and split a shelf in half. But running heat tape across the back will do the same. As long as you do not permanently attach the tape/pads, you can change the layout. There are different size tape and pads available, so you can get what fits best for your needs. Hope this helps give you ideas. Any other questions about what I did or possible ideas you have, just ask.

4 Likes