Can males become too old to breed?

Hey guys, I hope everyone is well. I have a quick question and the title says it all: Can male Ball Pythons become too old to breed? I am looking into purchasing a “proven breeder” male that is about 4 years old. He has produced many clutches and apparently locks with anything. With that being said, should I worry about him becoming infertile in a few years or is that not an issue when it comes to male bps? Thanks

2 Likes

Ball pythons are an incredibly long-lived species, upwards of 50 years. So in relative terms, a 4yo male is probably equivalent to a young teenage boy. He has many many productive years ahead of him

8 Likes

I have a 11 year old crystal that gets the job done every time!

9 Likes

It’s more an issue for females. I’ve never had a male get too old to breed, just like humans, Hugh Hefner was still spreading seeds in his 80s. He’ll still lock but you would start to have fertility issues and more slugs if anything. But yeah at 4yo he barely has his drivers license.

1 Like

My male pied breeder (who is locked up right now) is 13 years old. I have another male in my rack who I have had for 18 years. I had a male pass away last year at age 32.

3 Likes

I have lots of old guys here getting lucky. They’re usually the best at it.

3 Likes