Can Sellers Respond to Ratings?

I recently watched some drama unfold on Facebook over the way a snake was shipped and some other stuff. After both parties had their say it was obvious to the community that the buyer was in the wrong. That buyer left a negative review on the seller’s profile which, in the long run will not hurt him but it did bring his 100% score down almost 20%.

On other sites with reviews (Yelp,Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc…) the person being reviewed can respond to feedback. Most times this is to attempt to rectify the problem presented in a bad reviews. On MorphMarket , a lot of this is easily handled behind the scenes but in this situation, neither party was willing to agree to terms set by the other.

I think it would be nice to be able to leave a public response to both negative and positive reviews.

2 Likes

This is key and the cornerstone of any reputation management is responding to both negative and positive reviews. I agree 100% the seller should be able to respond to a bad review and good review alike. Until this is in place I will not be reporting any of my sales in a manner that will generate a review. We have nothing but good FBI Reviews and on our Business page as well. Would be nice to have some on MM but not in its current format. I think a user turning reviews off is shady but when marking the animal sold I have been selecting “Sold Elsewhere”. On the flip side when I buy it is usually from a MM listing but I generally text or email the breeder directly but then tell them I am going to send a quick MM inquiry so they can more easily let me leave them a review. Reviews are an awesome addition but right now they are slanted heavily toward the buyer at least seems that way.

That brings up another issue, sellers can dodge reviews from transactions they don’t feel will generate a positive review in this manner. There is definitely an incentive to have positive reviews (customer trust) but having no reviews isn’t detrimental right now.

I don’t fully understand what you guys are asking for so I will ask some questions below, and I think you also have some misunderstandings about how the MM Ratings system works. Have you the extensive documentation explaining it?

In particular this FAQ:

On other sites with reviews (Yelp,Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc…) the person being reviewed can respond to feedback. I think it would be nice to be able to leave a public response to both negative and positive reviews.

This is key and the cornerstone of any reputation management is responding to both negative and positive reviews.

The two of you are suggesting that sellers on our site cannot respond. That would be ridiculous, and is not the case at all. The seller can respond to each and every comment, link to the forum thread, and even dispute the rating for total removal under a set of circumstances.

Deleted misunderstood how the reviews worked

1 Like

John I apologize I did not realize the seller could respond. I did not think that was the case as I had not seen anyone do it. My fault man.

1 Like

Actually, no, we’ve thought this through as well.

Provided that a buyer has inquired on an ad, they have the ability to “rate it”. However because they initiated the rating, it remains in a pending state and is not publicly visible for a short period of time (5 days right now). During that time the seller is notified and can choose to dispute the rating. If that were to happen, and it has not happened yet, then we would require the buyer to produce evidence that the transaction occurred.

Thanks for clearing up my misunderstandings.

Sadly, I just had an experience off MM site with a seller who was very selective indeed about how she described me to someone I had enquired about buying two snakes from. I pulled out from both sales and set the record straight. Screenshots are a blessing.