Candy recessive gene

Hello,
Full disclaimer I’ve been out of the BP breeding world for about 10 years now and I have noticed plenty has changed. Now that myself and my fiancé are getting back into it, I wanted to get some clarification on the Candy gene as we are about to get a beautiful Candino. Candy is recessive and my understanding was that when you put two non-visual recessive genes together you would/could produce the visual form, i.e normal 100% het pied x normal 100% het pied can produce a visual pied. Now, the Candy is already a visual recessive. When you pair them, it says all you will produce is Candy. So, am I missing something here or is this simply a case where the Candy gene is a visual recessive that only produces itself? i was kinda thinking that this may produce something visually different kinda like an incomplete dominant gene like pastel x pastel = super pastel.

I appreciate any feedback on this. Thank you

3 Likes

So, just to get a little clarification on what you’re asking here…

are you wanting to know the outcome when you pair a candy to a candino? or pairing two candies together? or pairing 2 candino’s together?

the way candino works is that it is 100% het candy and 100% het albino. They’re allelic genes so when you are pairing them together that is what is giving you that look of an albino.

so, with that being said, if you paired a candy to a candio, you’ll get a mix of animals. you’ll get candinos, you’ll get Candy’s.

if you paird two candino’s together, you’d get a mix of candy’s, candinos, and albinos.

you’re correct in thinking that pairing two het recessive genes together will/can produce a visual recessive. I think the part that is making this different than what you expect is the fact that candy and albino are allelic and give you a visual animal even though its 100% het for both genes. Remember, the term “het” just means heterozygous which is indicating that there is 1 copy of the gene present in the animal.

technically, pastel could be called ‘het pastel’ and super pastel could just be called “pastel”. Hopefully this helps?

4 Likes

thank you for the info. I am more trying to understand the outcome of the Candy x Candy pairing. When I punch that in the genetic wizard it says the outcome if Candy. So I guess I’m getting a little confused on how its not producing a “super” version when the Candy is already the visual representation. Hope that makes sense

4 Likes

This post may help:

TLDR:

Each location where a mutation is taking place only has 2 slots.

0 = normal acting gene
1 = het (in recessives, is not visual)
2 = homo (in recessives, is visual)

A “Super Candy” is not possible, as that would require 2 lots of homos (4 slots)

6 Likes

Really great question by the way :muscle:

4 Likes

As @eaglereptiles really great question.

And as he noted, with recessives you should think of the visual form being the “super” form when comparing it to genes like pastel.

So using my previous analogy, think of breeding two visual candy’s together the same as breeding 2 super pastels together. The only possible outcome for the babies will be super pastel, in this pairing.
This is because both parents are passing on a gene that falls at that location. Each parent has 2 copies (making them the super form, or visual for recessives) and they pass on 1/2 of their genetic makeup. This means that the babies will be the same genetics as the parents.

2 Likes

thank you for that info. So it sounds like in this case its an exception to the rule? Even though the Candy is Visual het form, it still only falls into Slot 1 as pairing them together does not change any appearances?

2 Likes

If you breed a candino to a normal you will end up with normal BPs het for candy or het for albino.

Breeding a candy to a candino gives you either candinos or candies as offspring
Breeding an albino to a candino gives you either candinos or albinos as offspring

The candy is NOT a visual recessive. A het candy will look like a normal ball python. The allelic property with het albino is what gives them the Amelanistic property in a candino

You will still need a het or homozygous candy to produce visual candies when breeding to a candino.

3 Likes

It’s not an exception to the rule, it’s a perfectly standard example of how recessive traits work. Candy is not a “visual het form”, whatever that means. Candy is a recessive trait. If a snake has two copies of the candy allele, it’s visually “Candy”. If it has one copy of the Candy allele and one wild type allele, it will look like a normal. If the snake has one candy allele and one albino allele, it will be a Candio (visual) beause candy and albino are allelic.

Think back to high school (middle school??) when you learned about Gregor Mendel and his pea plants. Draw a punnett square

5 Likes

ok, I think maybe my confusion is coming from how I am inputting it into genetic wizard. however, now I understand, the candy is the visual form of the recessive when combined 1 and 1. I couldn’t find a pic of a normal het candy, kept bringing up a picture of the candy itself and calling it recessive so I think thats where my confusion was. Thank you for clearing it up for me

3 Likes

Here is a photo of a 100% het Candy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thank you, now things are making more sense. Working with this gene will be easier to understand now and other recessive genes. Having the right info is beneficial. Do you have a recommended source outside of WOBP I can gather more info about genes and morphs?

2 Likes

Have you checked out Morphpedia? It’s excellent!

I’d also reccomend just learning a bit about genetics and inheritence patterns in general so you can predict the offspring of pairings and know the “why” behind these things. The concept of allelic morphs tends to throw people for a loop sometimes

7 Likes

I will def do some research on this. I admit I was more adapt to this back when I was breeding. I feel like I let me own doubts and what I was seeing throw me off but I am always willing to learn more. If I am able to pass on the support others have given me, I won’t hesitate. We all started somewhere. I’ll check out Morphmedia and look up genetics and inheritance in general. Thank you

1 Like

Ish… but only when combined with Albino.
The mutation for Candy is happening at the same location as the mutation for Albino. So each het (1 copy) takes up one of the two available places and produces a visual homo.

Think of it as a restaurant, where every table only has 2 seat, and each couple must be compatible.

Each person is representing our “hets”

James (Het Candy) and Lily (Het Candy) can sit together at table A. [Visually Candy]

James (Het Candy) and Jesse (Het Albino) can sit together at table B (because Candy and Albino are allelic) [Visually Candino]

Jesse cannot join James and Lilys table as there is only two seats per table… but they are all compatible with one another in pairs.

Outside of the Candino combo, Candy is not visual in its het form.

3 Likes

HIDEE HO @rightkind86! Welcome to the forum and welcome back to breeding! So glad you found MM and this family!

One of these days I am going to send myself to Morph school so I can understand what in the heck you guys are talking about! Right now it just gives me a headache! :face_with_head_bandage:

There is only one stipulation for joining this group. Pictures are required…… just so ya know…… :sunglasses::wink:

4 Likes

can do, will remember that for the next post, thank you

3 Likes

Here is a fun little breakdown :slightly_smiling_face:
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJvV7UmT/

5 Likes

Thank you Thomas! This video is so cool and easy to understand! I will use this to study up on my morphs! My goal is to “out morph”Mr smarty @logar Logan one of these days! :joy::sunglasses:

2 Likes