Cane Toad info

Hi all, just looking for a little info on Cane Toads, has anyone had success breeding them and if so how did you do it?
I’ve heard they need huge outdoor ponds but being UK keeping their temps correct would be a struggle outdoors & that’s about the only info I can find via scrolling the internet lol

Cheers for the help :grin:

1 Like

If I may ask, and I am doing so with the goal of educating myself, not attacking you or causing a fuss, but why the interest in breeding cane toads?

Considering how invasive and damaging they are, why is there an interest for captive breeding? Perhaps you mean a different type of cane toad and I’m barking up the wrong tree, if so, very sorry.

But if you do mean the crazy ones going nuts in Australia and the US, would you mind explaining the interest in CB them, especially in an outdoor pond where they could potentially get out?

Again I am NOT here to attack you or anything like that, I’m just wondering. Apologies!

3 Likes

it is in the UK. they can’t survive in the wild outside there. as to why they want to captive breed them, my guess is they are just interested in them. I personally really love them and would love to have some one day and if they are captive bread then they are healthier and even more hardy so to me it makes sense but that is just me.

3 Likes

I have no clue how to breed cane toads but I do know how to breed american toads and I am pretty sure they need similar breeding setups. they need a large water space like you said because they breed in water and lay the eggs in the water but I wouldn’t think they would need a big pond. I would get a large enclosure, I would say around 4 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet(sorry i don’t know what that converts to) with 1/4 to 1/3 of the enclosure having around 6 inches deep of water and the rest of the enclosure being land. If i am wrong and they do need a pond, you could have them outside in spring/summer and bring them in when it starts getting too cold. I hope this helps but this is just a guess and I am pretty much just scaling up american toad breeding set up.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I’m used to hearing about cane toads here in the US so I forgot to consider they might not be able to survive in different areas like they can here, silly me!

3 Likes

It might work but from what I’ve read so far, it sounds like a true pond kind of size needed to make them feel comfortable

@cmills yeah, there’s minimal risk of them becoming invasive in northern UK
Im wanting to breed because I like the species and there’s a significant lack of CB cane toads over here :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks for the response! Sorry if I in anyway upset anyone with that question, we just get absolutely blasted with anti-cane toad info where I live so it was surprising to read about someone wanting them to breed on purpose, haha!

2 Likes

Absolutely no worries & I can promise no attempts at world domination via toad over here :joy:

2 Likes

I just did a little bit of research and came across a research paper on cane toads and it had some info on how they breed the toads and to me, it seems like my idea would work pretty well but it is only one paper so I can’t say for sure if it will work.

https://meridian.allenpress.com/jhms/article-pdf/15/4/21/2362969/1529-9651_15_4_21.pdf

This is a study from 2005 so some of the husbandry info is outdated but they were able to successfully breed them with less water and worse conditions so I think what i said earlier about how I would set it up should work

1 Like

Ooh that’s pretty useful, thank you very much :slightly_smiling_face:

I think I’m going to have to contemplate Cane Toads this year :eyes: lol

1 Like

If I were attempting to breed, I would create a VERNAL pool for the toads. They like temporary water. Most frogs do*. American roads will breed in a wet lawn. We used to go to a field in the Detroit area - right around Earth Day…

The two inches or so of rain water would attract thousands of toads for a two week Bacchanal! Three weeks later, the field would dry up and any youngsters that hadn’t developed legs were lost to the birds. It was a scene, man!

The temporary pools might have helped kick in the breeding instinct? Wish I could post the video. It was wild.

• it was explained to me that amphibians seek out vernal pools because they won’t have any fish in them to feed on the eggs and/or tadpoles.
2 Likes

By the way, that image was from my favorite Father’s Day card ever!

1 Like

The issue was more space, I cand definitely do this though
May follow above but try to introduce around usual breeding and remove after success/end of breeding season

There is one major issue, There’s no way I can get my hands on a gonadotropin releasing hormone :sweat_smile:

2 Likes