Cappuccino, Frappaccino, Melanistic Crested Geckos

Cappuccino is the base morph.
Frappaccino is a Lilly White Cappuccino.
Melanistic is a super form of a Cappuccino (two Cappuccino bred together).

The melanistic does has crests above its eyes, but reduced down its head/back.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Are you able to explain what makes a Cappuccino a Cappuccino please? Is it colour, structure, markings?

1 Like

I believe that itā€™s an inc-dom mutation if thatā€™s what youā€™re wondering.

1 Like

Thanks but I mean what makes a Gecko a cappuccino?

Eg Lilly White has the white back, tail and tummy (plus other things) & soft scale has less scales (plus other things) that make those morphs.

What makes a cappuccino be called a Cappuccino, rather than (eg) a dark base harlequin?

4 Likes

These were founded and are from originally Korea.
This is actually the breeders cappuccino group that produced the first ever Mel.

3 Likes

They look very much like the charcoals, but have either white or yellow on them as you can see :blush:

Also have a look on their Instagram you can see the fraps and all! :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks for the link. I donā€™t have access to Instagram.

So according to the website " the Cappuccino line to be dark brown based cresties with yellow/white pinstripes."

So whatā€™s to say that some of my dark base geckos arenā€™t Cappuccino? Iā€™m not saying they are, I just want to understand how you can ID a cappuccino.

1 Like

Never enough! I told myself I would stop like 10 reptiles ago. And Iā€™m still goin. Only problem with reptiles is you canā€™t have all of them. :joy:

2 Likes

Beautiful geckos. Canā€™t wait to see what you end up with. Really digging that Frappuccino. And that melanistic is wild.

I donā€™t either, but you can click on a few images before it stops you :joy:

Theyā€™re not even pinstripes thatā€™s the thing.
And thatā€™s what I said above!
Some of them arenā€™t that dark that the founders have too, some are lighter and tiger like, itā€™s that group though thatā€™s started it all off, but if thatā€™s the case then I myself have some too and have produced them, again not saying I do. But that baby above I have produced a lot of exactly like it. And that Lily above, I have seen a lot like that for sale, itā€™s also quite different to the ones Korea has produced.
Itā€™s a bit strange. The breeder in Korea called it the cappuccino line. So maybe thatā€™s that in Korea where are itā€™s different here and or us. As they look like charcoals with little bits of white or yellow as above. So Infact charcoals may be able to help produce Mels if put to the right other morph?ā€¦.
I wanted a male charcoal for zombie as sheā€™s grey and yellow and I was curious what would happen there. Maybe we all need a charcoal in our Crestie groups as thatā€™s what the group above looks like to me :sweat_smile:
Who knows though, itā€™s all very new (November last year was the first one produced)

2 Likes

Haha I know!
Itā€™s Crestie overload here now :sweat_smile:
As well as the other reptiles also.
Theyā€™re addictive, and I love them all, so much so my family thinks Iā€™m weird :rofl:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve happily embraced the weird and unselfconsciously share all the pics and cute videos with friends and family if they wanna see it or not. Hahahah. Least I found this community of likeminded people. So I donā€™t need to bury others in ridiculous amounts of my ā€œcrazyā€. :joy:

3 Likes

Omg Iā€™m the same!
Luckily my Nan is first to comment saying how cute they are, she thinks theyā€™re all cool, she even came to collect Blaze my royal with me so she could see and hold him haha. My mum said ā€˜nopeā€™ when I showed her my new spider, my Nan thought he was adorable :joy:
Yeah this forum is amazing, everyone accepts you for who you are, and we all love sharing our pics of our ā€˜cuteā€™ scaly babies :grin:

2 Likes

OMG this morph makes no sense to me :pensive:

So, if Iā€™m correct, the group in Korea donā€™t know the lineage of there cappuccinoā€™s because they said lineage is to be confirmed. Charcoal have lighter heads then the body and still have good head structure therefore it is a different morph, but they are of similar morphs in respect of darkness.

But basically, from what I gather.
If your Crestie hasnā€™t come from the Korea group then it cannot be charcoal!

Am I correct? Or is every dark base Pinstripe or dash pin with cream/white clased as a cappuccino, meaning anyone can make the melanistic if paired to another dark base with cream/white?

Sorry for all the questions, I just canā€™t stand not understanding Crestie morphs.

1 Like

You are not crazy, just passionate :grin:

Without this forum, Iā€™d have only my hubby to talk to as I donā€™t know anyone near me who keeps reptiles, or doesnā€™t think Iā€™m crazy for keeping so many.
So Iā€™m grateful :relaxed:

1 Like

From what I know charcoal is actually from America not Korea.
The Korean breeders cappuccino breeders just appear to be charcoals with the added white/yellow. Maybe theyā€™re even a different line of charcoal?
And yes unless you get a charcoal from known charcoals you canā€™t call them a charcoal, even if you produce the exact same gecko, youā€™d probably have to email the founder of them showing them, and let them decide? Just like the bubblegum pink line in tangerines you canā€™t call it that as thatā€™s ac reptiles line, so you have to rename (I spoke to him about this back along) even though really it all started as a strange mutation that proved out meaning they can pop up anywhere! Someone just claimed and named it.

Also cappuccino have very tiny minimal crests when produced as you can see above, so in that case theyā€™re also different.

3 Likes

Yes I knew charcoal hadnā€™t come from Korea. I watched a YouTube video (dav Kaufman).

Also I believe the founders of charcoal had bred charcoal to charcoal with no melanistic (or similar) appearance.

I meant I assume cappuccino is like charcoal and canā€™t be identified as cappuccino unless came from the original line in Korea!

I think Iā€™m confusing myself with this now :crazy_face::upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, though that video also tells you theyā€™re line bred. Not something Iā€™d personally do myself but I know a lot of people do still.

Ah right, yeah you said it confusing haha. But,
Yes thatā€™s right, you need to have for it from original line. And if not directly from Korea itself, youā€™ll need proof etc.

Maybe weā€™ll hatch some random cresties one day we can name ourselves :star_struck:
How cool would that be! :laughing:

3 Likes

That would be amazing. Iā€™m not too worried about the naming part, but hatching something that no one else has, now that would be awesome :star_struck:

2 Likes

i am reptile city koreaā€¦ the name cappuccino was given by me BEFORE i produced the first melanistic. There is a lot of wrong information being given out there, even on this thread there is misinformation. The picture of the original group is not correct. They were produced by me and have gone on to produce RCK mels but they are not the original group of capps. I have actually been unknowingly outbreeding capps for several years so we have a large and diverse gene pool with no need to inbreed animals. Because it takes time (several generations) to confirm certain things surrounding a new morph, i have been reluctant to put a lot of stuff out there but this has created a vacuum filled with totally wrong info. I hope to rectify this soon by putting together a fact sheet (although i only have instagram to post it to) but until then people can check my IG feed at city.reptile or they can also visit @tennyscrestedgeckos as he has put together a nice timeline of our project.

5 Likes