Carpet python feeding troubles

Having trouble with my baby carpet python and food. He shows no interest in frozen thawed so I tried live and he struck it instantly, held on but never ate it. Can someone help me out?

Could you provide details? How is the tank set up (pictures help), what are the temperatures and humidity, when did you get the snake, how often (if at all) have you been handling, what enclosure did the breeder have it in, what was the breeder feeding, what size have you been feeding, etc. The more information you give us the better we can try to help.

2 Likes

@erie-herps I can show pictures later don’t have any right now of the cage, but it’s getting cooler in my house lately but I’ve been told hopper-fuzzys so that what I tried.

1 Like

What’s temps in viv?
If your house is getting colder just make sure he’s not! Usually makes them stop eating :woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

@ghoulishcresties Yea I believe that’s why, but he acts hcompletely normal in every way though

1 Like

He might just need more time to settle in. Assuming you husbandry is perfect you could try other foods (eg. hamsters or chicks) if he doesn’t take anything else.

2 Likes

What type/subspecies is the animal? That can help determine the “sensitivity” to seasonal change

How large is the animal?

How are you prepping the F/T?

Have you tried anything other than mice?

What time of day are you feeding?

How is the animal grabbing the prey item?

3 Likes

@t_h_wyman He’s a 5 month old jungle and I’m doing fuzzy mice at room temp then under a heat lamp for a little bit. I tried feeding in the afternoon that’s when I feed all my snakes, he grabbed in in the neck area and held it there but then let it go after a few seconds.

Try a F/T adult mouse. Place it in a Ziplock and heat it in very hot tap water (like, as hot as your tap will go). If water gets in, towel it dry and then offer it head first so that the snake takes it by the nose. Try to have the snake perched while offering as well.

I know all of this sounds kind of extreme but these are all tricks I have picked up over the years.

3 Likes

How long has it been since you have had your python?

1 Like

@ashleyraeanne 12 days

Did you handle her at all before trying to feed her? How frequently have you tried to feed her? Chances are she still needs to settle in and is defensive. I also seen a post where you had your snakes (of different species) together and that likely stressed her as well. You haven’t quarantined her and that is extremely unsafe for your other snakes.

@ashleyraeanne yea, I’ve tried to feed twice

Leave her alone for 2 weeks and then try to feed her. Don’t try and feed more than once in a week.

1 Like

@ashleyraeanne ok

1 Like