Carpet python keeps trying to escape

My coastal keeps trying to escape. I have the hot side between 85 and 90F. The cold side is around 75F. Humidity stays between 40 and 60. She eats every monday without fail, but hasnt eaten in a month. When i open the glass to offer the rat she acts like she wants it but wont persue it. Yes i offer live because she has never F/T.

4 Likes

I know very little about carpet pythons, though I am currently caring for a friend’s, and my main suggestion would be more foliage/cover in that enclosure.

1 Like

Where do you live? Does natural light enter the room? What is the room temperature?

3 Likes

I know…i have replaced the plants 3 times. She keeps killing them

1 Like

I live in texas. Very little natural light enters the room. I keep her in my office at work. The temp in the room is between 70 and 75F.

2 Likes

Probably seasonal trigger. How old is she and how sure are you about the she part?

right now nothing you’ve said is concerning. Adding cover is nice but coastal carpets are generally really confident snakes so I don’t think that’s in play at the moment.

3 Likes

She was born may 8th 2020 and i bought her off MorphMarket so im assuming she was sexed right.

1 Like

Its just weird. Ive had her since September 22nd 2020. The first 3 months were rough trying to get her to eat but once i gave a live one she has eaten weekly unless in shed. The teying to escape is definitely new. I will try to get some shubbs in there though.

1 Like

That was my other thought, but I’m not versed enough on them to have been able to say one way or the other.

I wouldn’t say this is a guarantee. The ability to properly sex a snake is wholly dependent on the skill of the breeder, and there can occasionally still be errors.

Is this normal for males?

1 Like

I’m not an expert on carpets, but I know that in many snake species, males will go off food and be more moody and restless during their natural breeding season. Sometimes it happens even when there are no females around.

1 Like

Hmmm. Thanks for yalls input

1 Like

They have excellent metabolisms so if they skip food for a couple months it’s not really a concern as long as there are no underlying issues.

If your ambient in the room cooled throughout the winter it could just be looking for a mate.

Have you changed or added any lighting in the room? Carpets see UV very well so sometimes an environmental change can be perceived totally different by them than by us.

4 Likes

No changes. Same lights, temps and humidity

2 Likes

Is it ‘frantically’ running on the glass or just exploring and pushing with it’s nose? If it’s not panicking, ignore it for a couple weeks or so then try to feed again.

3 Likes

It might be something it is seeing outside the glass, or even a reflection in the glass. I know you want to see and view your beautiful snake, but try covering the glass with construction paper so it can not view out. I have had to cover up a decent amount of my male retics glass, or anytime I move or he sees movement/shadows he blasts the glass. Good luck!

2 Likes

Is this something that just happens? Shes been in this one for over 6 months wi no issues like this.

4 Likes

No, usually it would happen when they get used to there new enclosure, or sometimes when they get a little more mature and confident. It may not be that at all, just something easy to try. Either way you would know if that was it, then you could maybe move the cage somewhere different to see if that changes the behavior.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information

3 Likes