Challenges Associated with US & Canada Filter [4942]

Hi Morph Market,

I believe the problem is related to how users interact with the site. More specifically, the way the filters work on MorphMarket.

Users can search locations for "US & Canada, “United states” or “Canada”. This has caused me, as a seller a real challenge when it comes to selling animals to a given audience.

The combined “US & Canada” location doesn’t make sense in my opinion, because the seller will have to list animals with information that may be more applicable to one audience than the other.

For instance, I am selling CITES animals to the US. When selling CITES animals, I have to add the cost of paperwork to the animal when selling to the US. Therefore, any customers viewing the “US & Canada” location will see a price that doesn’t apply to Canadian buyers (because I don’t have to add the cost of paperwork).

Now, when an American buyer reviews the add, if the add is intended for the Canadian audience, the cost is lower, given no requirement for paperwork and international shipping. In this example, when the US buyer reaches out to me to verify the cost of shipping, they often feel they are not being treated fairly when I quote a higher cost.

Alternatively, if a Canadian were to review the same ad, it would make sense for that buyer. However, if the Canadian were to see the same ad with the US cost, it wouldn’t make sense.

I believe it makes more sense for sellers to target the geographic location of sellers, in order to create an accurate listing for the consumer. This means sellers can add the correct costs, currency, and description for that geography of the consumer.

Feedback, questions welcome.

Thank you
Darren

5 Likes

I have created a ticket for a feature that allows sellers to add a different price feild, that shows if the animal is viewed from a certain country outside of their own…

Or maybe a, much nicer worded than the following, disclaimer might help…

“this animal is outside of your current region and may cost more to due to paperwork and shipping”

You are definitely on the right track to help market better though! Great thread!

6 Likes

Thank you for opening a ticket for tracking.

I have created a ticket for a feature that allows sellers to add a different price field, that shows if the animal is viewed from a certain country outside of their own…

I think on the surface this is a good start. However, I think this may actually open up other challenges. particularly when it comes to shipping. For example, if there were two different prices based on the country of origin of the user viewing the ad, and there is only one field for shipping, then the price of shipping would still Present a challenge.

I still prefer that there should be ads target a specific Geography. Perhaps one way of Managing one ad that targets the Canadian geography and then another that targets the US geography is to have a feature where the ad can simply be duplicated. Then once the ad is duplicated, the ad administrator. the can simply change the price and shipping values.

Alternatively, One ad can be created that can. have specific meta targeted to a given geography. IE, one price for American customers and another price for Canadian customers. The same thing applies to the shipping rates where American rates would be different than Canadian.

4 Likes

You are throwing out great ideas but from a coding standpoint, i am not sure it would work very smoothly duplicating ads of the same animal. Especially when it comes to the animal manager system.

What I think would work best is your second idea, if you as a seller could add the additional costs to the “countries I export too” section in your settings.

So say you export to:
CAN = +$300
MEX = +$500
UK = +$800

Then if someone from one of these countries looks at your ad they will see:

$100 + $300

Shipping can be overcome by, in general by default, if viewing outside of the ads region, it showing:

“Shipping: Please Inquire”

5 Likes

You are throwing out great ideas but from a coding standpoint, i am not sure it would work very smoothly duplicating ads of the same animal. Especially when it comes to the animal manager system.

I already manage two different ads in the Animal Manager system. Its cumbersome, though with the filter issue, it’s the best interim solution.

What I think would work best is your second idea, if you as a seller could add the additional costs to the “countries I export too” section in your settings.

So say you export to:
CAN = +$300
MEX = +$500
UK = +$800
Then if someone from one of these countries looks at your ad they will see:
$100 + $300

I’m not sure I understand the last line. I believe the example your providing would be $100 (shipping)+$300(animal)?

Shipping can be overcome by, in general by default, if viewing outside of the ad’s region, it is showing: “Shipping: Please Inquire”

I believe this is a viable option, though it shouldn’t be the default as this creates more work for the seller.

4 Likes

The last line, 100+300, was meant to describe “original price + export price”, sorry for the confusion.

No extra work for the seller. We can just code it so if a UK buyer is looking at a US animal, the shipping will show “Please Inquire”, rather than the actual shipping price that it shows to US buyers.

3 Likes

Understood! That may work. Any chance you can come up with a development example we can test? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@eaglereptiles did something get changed with regards to how prices show up for us/canada animals?

I now notice that there is only one price displayed, instead of the Canadian price and the converted US price. Definitely is a cleaner look, if so.

1 Like

@eaglereptiles I just wanted to follow up on this subject to ask what the implementation was. I still receive several emails a week asking the very same questions about why prices for Canadian ads versus American ads because they’re using the combined “US & Canada” filter.

I still stand by the fact that the combined search filter for us in Canadian ads together makes no sense and it confuses buyers. My multiple emails a week asking me these questions is clear evidence…

3 Likes