Change existing gene name (Nanny Gene to Carnage)

If the founder of the gene has given his permission to change the gene name that should be enough to change it. I’ve heard over the years that many people are not in the project simply because they do not like the name. That does seem foolish to me, but that is a fact. Just as foolish as people criticizing the name change that aren’t even involved in the project.
It is also my understanding that the nanny is attached to a granite gene, but Nanny can be isolated from the granite itself and you can have just Nanny without the granite. Since it can be isolated and stand alone I believe it would be beneficial to give it a new name. I support the name change.

2 Likes

While Carson may be the founder of the trait, and I mean this while having every bit of respect for everyone involved, the trait itself is owned by the whole community. The majority of Nannys are not in Carsons collection. These things need to be agreed upon by everyone, which is why we have this place :wink:

Did this really happen though, or was it all just waffle? From everything we have on HGW, that doesn’t seem the best foundation to base this change on.

This is super important. :point_up:

The majority of people with Nanny in their collections currently will unlikely know this change happened. They will look at their animals on MorphMarket and say:

What is Carnage? I didn’t add that to this animal… let me change that back to Nanny… hhmmm where’s Nanny gone?.. I better contact support

Thousands of records, both digital and paper, will need updating.

However, with all that said…

If you truly believe that you have separated a different phenotype from the granite-nanny then I recommend applying for a completely new trait tag (And I would really like to see a new vote on the name, because as pointed out, it is very similar to Carnivore, which new keepers will very easily confuse in their records, but that’s just my opinion)

7 Likes

As has been pointed out by Thomas, the reptile community has every right to weigh in on name changes, even if they aren’t involved in the project, because in the end it ends up impacting far more than one small group of investors and you’re essentially asking the lovely staff here to shoulder not only more work to make the name change in the system, but also the huge pain that comes with the confusion it will cause in the following months/years.

An opinion, based on some of the speech I’m seeing here, is that some people involved in this project are treating a gene like a brand, which is unbelievably offputting, especially in the current market. These are living creatures, and bits of their DNA. This is not a brand, it is not something one person gets dominion over just because they isolated it. Once it has been introduced to the public, it’s no longer up to one person or even a small group, the change has to be embraced hobby-wide.

I feel like this is being gone about backwards. You’re asking for a name change and talking about marketing and logistics getting people to understand the gene itself/the change, why can’t you do the legwork first and see if that changes perceptions and clears up the issues?

5 Likes

I want to point out that this is a very different scenario. Pixel wasn’t in anyone else’s collection when it was renamed. It was just Justin’s project so him renaming it didn’t cause confusion. j2 was its name while he was still trying to figure out what it was. That’s no different from a breeder calling a dinker “weirdo” and then renaming it once they figure out that is is a new gene.

Renaming a brand new, veerrry unworked with morph is very different from renaming an existing, established morph with (as of posting this) 444 listings in mm history.

5 Likes

True and completely understandable, and maybe 200 of those 444 wasn’t the gene. MM need expert in genetics to solve this and stop those frauds that affect the platform and the genes.

2 Likes

But again, if a big part of the problem is mislabeling, renaming the gene won’t solve it because any animals with the nanny tag currently will be moved over to the carnage tag. But if you’re able to give examples of animals that aren’t the gene and how you can tell, then some of us can potentially help in finding the ones that are mislabeled?

4 Likes

This is not, nor has it ever been, MM’s responsibility. They are a marketplace, and with the sheer number of listings, there is absolutely no way for them to check every one for accuracy, especially when morphs can have so much variation. If you read the Market Moderation Policies, you’ll see that it’s up to individual breeders and site users to make sure ads are accurate, and that inaccuracies are reported. On top of that, it’s rather bold of you to accuse people of fraud when you openly admit that there is an education issue with the morph’s mode of inheritance and that there is more than one gene involved. Have you tried contacting any of these people to let them know their identification is inaccurate? You actually have to make an effort to correct issues like this because a name change won’t do much but make it worse.

4 Likes

There’s actually a fair number floating around or affilated with morphmarket.

Which brings me to my 1st point. Since Nanny being mislabeled/misidentified seems to be a big concern, having a genetic test to definitely determine the basis for the morph should be priority. I’d reccomend gathering and saving sheds from individuals with and without the nanny morph and sending them to Rare Genetics Inc (they’re partnered with MM) so that they can work on developing a test for it. This will not only shed light on the genetic basis for the morph, but also allow breeders to definitively ID it.

2nd suggestion: Review the Morphpedia page for Nanny and make sure it’s up to date and accurately reflects how to ID the morph with lots of examples and descriptive imagery. This will help breeders to more accurately identify it in their clutches and animals

3rd, flag ads that you are 100% certain are not nanny. If you see something, say something.

4th, share lots of pictures of your snakes with nanny (combos and single morph) on your facebook, instagram, on here, on anywhere. The more people see it, the more they will be able to accurately identify it, and might also take interest in the morph itself and add it to their projects.

10 Likes

Lets make this easier:

• Keep the name as “Nanny”
  • Change the name to “Carnage”
0 voters
5 Likes

So this is going to be legit, this poll is more important that the gene owner and the owners of the gene?

3 Likes

This will give us a base to work with to support the change. This is the first request of this manner.

We want any changes to be publicly documented and debated, we would do the same process if @jkobylka wanted to rename Pixel again.

9 Likes

Kenny, much respect to you and what you have done with the Nanny gene. I immediately bought into the project after seeing you on Dav Kaufman’s episode featuring your facility. I wasn’t a part of the first vote on the Nanny Facebook group, I didn’t even know it existed, and was shocked to have heard about the change. I’d imagine that there are much more owners of Nanny unaware of the name change, than there are people that voted on the name change in that Facebook group.

I believe the Nanny morphs problems lie in its lack of examples shown to the community. Where is the YouTube video on the incredible Nanny Batmans you produced? That should be plastered everywhere. Most YouTube videos on the gene are outdated. I’m trying to do my part with the Nanny Desert Ghost combo I produced. I also believe that the Carnage name doesn’t fit the morph. I agree with others that have said that it’s too close to Carnivore, which already has a stigma attached to the name (ie it being a re-named Leopard). I’m eagerly awaiting the conclusion to this saga, as I can get to call it by its agreed upon name. I feel weird calling it Nanny on my YouTube videos and Instagram posts because of the name change, and feel even weirder calling it Carnage. I feel it would’ve been best if you called the Nanny Batman combo the Carnage. It sticks with the comic book theme, and avoids the re-naming controversy. With you being at the apex of the Nanny gene, you’ve earned the right to name its combos. Just my 2 cents.

8 Likes

Why does it have to tell you anything about the morph? I like names that are cool sounding
Carnivore, terminator,Darkling,predator etc, my genes my names

While we’re on the subject how does nanny describe the morph any better that carnage?

I doesn’t

Ghi
What does that describe?

Woma ???

Enchi???

Russo??

Hra???

Clown???

Could go on an on. It’s the origionator of the genes pregoative to call it what they want!!

1 Like

Yeah im not sure on this one, but it sure was unique.

I believe Kevin went with this name as the banding of the original animals looked like Woma Pythons.

This is the area the morph was imported from.

Was originally “Lemon”, as they came from his high yellow project, but was changed due to confusion to “Russo Line Het Leucistics”. Over time this just became Russo.

Het Red Axanthic is because Corey thought the original animals had a Purple/red head and Axanthic look to them.

The Barkers saw spot under the original animal’s eye that reminded them of a clown’s tear, so they named the mutation “Clown”.

Absolutely… upon release. Once the project is public and in other collections then it belongs to the wider community.

10 Likes

The name change from Nanny to Carnage is not going to happen. I don’t care if the founder blessed you with his permission to change it. Changing a name isn’t going to fix the sales and the overall view of the gene. I’ve been told repeatedly that sellers can’t sell the ‘nanny’ gene because of the name. The name isn’t the issue. By all means, I know the FB page for Nanny has already updated to the name change, but it’s not going to fly on MorphMarket.

I didn’t even know this was a thing until I had my inbox blown up on IG asking me about the name change and I was like “what name change??”. If you have mislabeled animals that are being sold as nanny, report it. Explain WHY you think that animal is a mislabeled. Just like all morphs, there are high quality and low quality expressions. Is Nanny one of those that is on a wide spectrum?

If you change one name, the people who bought into the Nanny project way back when might not know of the name change. So, then you could have people at shows selling both Nanny and Carnage and it’s the same gene. It’s going to throw off every animal ever listed previously to now, and it’s stupid.

If you want to have a sick ass name, find a GEUNINE new gene, and name it. Or a combo.

Nanny is staying as nanny on morphmarket.

11 Likes

Someone woke up and chose violence :rofl:

But in all seriousness, I 100% agree. FB is not MorphMarket. Where do you think the majority of the snakes are sold? Confusion is the only thing that is going to result in changing the name.

6 Likes

Anna. We love you. That’s all. :joy::black_heart:

5 Likes

So with AK Morph says. Looks like his the owner of the platform so why do the poll.

2 Likes

Anna does not own the platform, but she is making very valid points that are being overlooked.

The poll is not a “be all and end all.”
It’s just so we can guage how widespread this request is.

10 Likes

I could have if I had known John was selling it. :wink:

7 Likes