Cinder Morph Questions

So I have a 10 month old cinder corn. I am wondering how much truth there is behind them being a more slender morph overall. Really I am just curious about the genetics behind the morph that supposedly make them slender/pear shaped. I attached some pics of my guy for reference. I feel his is skinny for his age but am not sure. I have been unable to locate much info on the subject.

2 Likes

He doesn’t look thin to me. Just a young corn. Could consider upping food frequency to every 5 days if you haven’t already. What size food are you feeding?

1 Like

Doesn’t look thin to me either. They aren’t bulky snakes (especially as babies), and are supposed to be rather slender compared to how long they are. They also get overweight pretty easily, so maybe you have seen fat corns a few times and thought that was normal.

2 Likes

I am feeding 2 pinkies a week right now, as he really struggled when given a fuzzy. As in, took over 30 minutes to eat it and then refused to eat for almost 3 weeks after(which could have been unrelated). I would love to bump him up to fuzzies but I do kind of think he needs to get a little bigger first.

I’d say feed 2 or maybe even 3 pinkies every 5 days if you are wanting to up food size quicker. But again I’d say he’s of a fine size and not to worry to much. I’m sure he’s active, pooping, and being a corn snake just fine as is :slight_smile:

I have been considering doing that and may give it a try. He is a great snake but honestly not a great eater. He generally seems a bit uninterested in food, to the point where I have to cut the pinky a bit so he can smell it better, otherwise he doesn’t care about it at all. Even then, he nudges it for like 2 minutes before actually eating it. Otherwise he is good. Just not particularly ravenous by any means.

Had a baby like that. Keep working with him. The girl I had took almost a year to her hatch date before she decided food was a good thing.

This tactic worked for me with my picky girl (who’d only eat once a week regardless) - Make sure your goodis very hot (some corns don’t care if it’s hot cold ect) if he doesn’t show interest try braining the first pinky and offering it that way. Offer the second, again really good and hot, while your boy is still in “food mode” and more likely to strike. I usually wait until the first pinky is just below the skinniest part of the neck before offering again.

Thanks, I will definitely try that. He is just so interested in everything else around him, he doesn’t always get that eating requires his participation!

2 Likes

Oh yeah sounds like the girl I had to a Tee. Have you tried putting him in a small container by himself and food and covering it?

1 Like

Yes, thats actually exactly what I have to do. He refuses to eat in his enclosure, even if I leave it. And when he’s in the container and I’m right there, he just wants out. If I get out of sight then he eats. Its really odd, he is a bit of a high maintenance corn.

1 Like

I have a female who’s still like that even at a year old… And a male as well. The female is very shy and the male is just high strung. It’s one of those things. Out of 15 snakes 4 total do not eat in their tub and for one reason or another have to eat in a seperate container and generally be left alone.