Cleaning products

What do you use to clean your reptile cages and can you use just 70% alcohol?

1 Like

I usually use a mix of white vinegar and water. I stay away from any harsh chemicals since they can cause neurological problems in your animals. So I would say no to alcohol due to the fumes.

Here is a good video from Snake Discovery on the topic.

3 Likes

I use Chlorhexidine gluconate diluted with water. Brand name is Nolvasan, but the generic works just fine. Bonus with it is that if you dilute it a little more, it can also be used as an antiseptic soak for the animals, so I love its dual purpose!

I’m not sure if 70% isopropyl is effective enough on its own or if you would have to periodically use another cleaner. Somebody else might need to chime in for that part.

2 Likes

F10 Vet Cleaner,. It’s imported and becoming increasingly harder to find. A little goes a long way.

2 Likes

F10 as far as I know is not being imported to the US any longer.
Chlorhexidine is not the same as Novasan. Novasan kills viruses chlorhexidine does not, it’s also effective against a much wider array of bacteria as well. Novasan also lasts up to 2 days.
We use A-33, bleach and water, and Novasan. Just depends on what we are cleaning.

1 Like

Reptile basics has one last shipment they are selling until it’s gone. A few other vendors offer it, large amounts have been hard to get for awhile. Just small bottles.

1 Like

I also use F10SC. One of the top vet cleaners out there. Very good product.
You can find it off of Amazon if they still have it available.

2 Likes

I use Dawn dish soap and water, or for disinfecting away from the sink I use a product by Shaklee called Basic G. Dilute 1/2 fl oz per gallon I think and a bottle of concentrate will last you forever.

1 Like