Clear Tubs for Reptile Basics Racks

I’m planning to use reptile basics racks for my future reptile breeding projects. The only thing I don’t like about them is that they are opaque. I contacted them and they said that there’s no way that they can make clear or translucent tubs and that they didn’t know of any clear/translucent tubs that would fit in the rack.
What I’m wondering is if a window could be added onto the front. I don’t have one of these tubs so I can’t check myself. Could a piece off of the front be cut off with a dremel and a piece of acrylic be siliconed in? Is the material too strong or too flimsy or would it hold up to the cutting without cracking and still be able to be easily cut?

3 Likes

When dealing with plastics you always have the option of melting a hole. However, if you want it to look good at all youd want something like a brand so it makes the exact shape you want. Im not sure about the specifoc ones you are talking about though, and if you try this, make sure you have plenty of ventilation. I guarantee the fumes are going to be bad

1 Like

I have a hot razor, so that would likely work well if I decide to go that route. I thought about using a hole saw but I’m not sure how good a circular window would look.

If the window had a frame it might not be too bad but if you just silicone the acrylic in, may not exactly be a clean look you’d enjoy. A case for leaving it alone, the opaque adds a bit of security for your animal at least

1 Like

I have probably 50 of their tubs and they are fairly sturdy. Only problem I would see you running into is attaching the acrylic. I don’t see silicone holding. You’d need to do something else like pop riveting them into place.

Im curious why you want to have a clear window.

1 Like

@owalreptiles
I was thinking about having the acrylic be siliconed on the inside so the only part that isn’t perfectly clean is the cut. I’m planning on keeping different species (leopard geckos, house snakes, western hognose, and maybe corn snakes), so I figured that since a lot of them are active during the day some light would be beneficial.

@randall_turner_jr
That’s good to know. I might be able to rough it up with sandpaper but I’ll have to experiment if I go this route.
So far my only rack (for leopard geckos) is made of sterilite storage tubs. I like being able to look in (which isn’t a need) and most of the species I plan on keeping (specifically house snakes and western hognose) are often active during the day and I think it would be beneficial for them to have light. My current leopard geckos also spend a lot of time looking out, so I think a window would be beneficial. I also don’t think it’s great to keep reptiles in a dark box, but I’m sure some light gets in and it’s likely not a problem for nocturnal reptiles.

2 Likes

The tubs aren’t truly opaque they’re translucent. My very food driven sub adult Boas remind me when i walk past their rack and they smack the front.

1 Like

That would make this unnecessary then, that’s good to know. Which rack do you have? Is it the VE series?

I have a Ve6, 2 Ve2 and ive built racks using the super 70 tubs.

Thank you! I likely won’t need to modify the tubs then.

1 Like

VE tub showing hand right up at the front.

VE tub showing hand approximately 5 inches back from the front.

I use a few different VE racks/tubs and think their tubs provide that perfect middle ground of satisfying my nosiness and letting the animals feel secure. Note that these images are on the closed sided rack model. The open sided rack model would likely provide more visibility if that is what you’re after. Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Thank you! I think I’ll likely go with these then. I think that’s a perfect level of translucency.

1 Like

Little off topic but I’m curious what the tattoo is on your arm? Looks like a young futballer!

1 Like

Sure is! I’ve been involved in one capacity or another my whole life: playing, coaching, or reffing.

Happy to help!

2 Likes

That’s awesome! I play still from time to time!

1 Like