Clear windows on egg? - LEOPARD GECKO

These eggs have been incubating for 27 days now, incubating for male. I have not roated them or anything, just took a picture from the bottom of the egg. This is a first time female, and I still see an embryo/pink in the egg. What do these windows mean? I’ve heard of them in snake eggs, but never leopard geckos. I’ve heard it can be a lack of calcium to the mother, but she got all of that? This all started about 2 days ago. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! I’m not sure if the windows have significance.

Definitely I’d avoid handling them whenever possible- you risk contamination, desiccation, accidental shifting of the embryo, all that stuff. Just ‘incubate until there’s no debate’ (that the eggs have gone bad). If you are very concerned, you can incubate each egg separately, or well spaced out, if you have the room. Definitely don’t handle the eggs every 2 days, don’t even open the container they’re incubating in, if you can avoid it. 27 days is not a super long time to have incubated, even when at male temperatures, so that aspect wouldn’t concern me.

3 Likes

They’re developing windows because you have too high humidity or water is dripping on them. Since it’s on the bottom of the egg I think the medium they’re in is too wet. What are your temperatures and humidity and can we see a picture of your setup?

3 Likes

I agree with both the above posts. Don’t mess with it too much and water dropping on them.

But if it was layed like that as opposed to the windows developing later, it could be something else.
If it was like that from the start I would suggest 3 other possibilities.

1, Assuming enough calcium was provided, Sufficient vitamin D is required for the calcium to be absorbed. Maybe the individual does not bask enough, or maybe the UV bulbs are faulty.

2, Genetics, abnormality or age in the female making her have a poor ability to absorb either calcium or vitamin D or another component.

1. it was the last egg and therefore not enough materials left to make a normal shell.

This is based on my experience and knowledge, but others correct me if you feel i am wrong.

2 Likes

update these eggs hatched normally! mom is doing well, sorry I ever updated! She’s been on rest for the winter and won’t be breeding again until Summer.

3 Likes

That’s wonderful news! Congrats on the hatchlings!

2 Likes

A couple babies I produced last year!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That top one is beautiful :heart_eyes:.

1 Like

He sold pretty quickly, and is in an amazing home!!

1 Like