Closing the gap in between tubs and the shelving of racks?

Hey guys, I’m looking into getting some racks for my colubrids. After some helpful members here, they showed me how much of a gap it would be (3/16” or so) and after talking to others, this could be larger enough for my snakes to escape (yearling Honduran Milksnakes, yearling variable Kingsnakes, young ratsnakes, etc.). Was wondering what are some ways to close the gap that you guys use? Was thinking of sliding in a piece of cardboard or PVC the entire length and width of the tub/shelf in the space of the gap, but was looking for other ideas as well.

2 Likes

If you’re using belly heat and you lift the tub to close the gap above, will the tub still heat correctly? It’s almost like you would need to lower the ceiling above the rack to close the gap. Maybe somehow secure a 3/16 inch plate of some sort of material to the ceiling to close the gap. It’s almost like you need a lid for the tubs. Just spitballing.

2 Likes

Your way could work. You will most likely need to relocate the heat source to the new bottom surface.

Mounting something above will also work, and you won’t need to mess with the heat source. It just might be a little harder to install and secure. These are really your only options.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply! And yea I was leaning more towards the top of the tubs instead of the bottom because I’d have to increase the temp of the heat tape.

Do you think just inserting a piece of PVC sheet or cardboard would work if I didn’t secure it to the top? For example, just slide in a sheet in between the gap when I’m not working with them and then sliding it back it when I’m not? Of course I’d get it more than the length (and extra width). Maybe I’d be able to use a binder clip to secure it in place as well?

Thanks for the reply again!

I would not use cardboard. You need something more solid. And I would attach it. It would be more secure and you won’t forget to put it back, and do it correctly.

You could probably glue it in place. Get what the local hardware store has, cheep. Paneling, plywood, finishing sheets.

2 Likes

You could adhere a piece of PVC or foam using silicone but you would have to find temporary accommodations for your little guys while it cured. Very small screws are also an option if you choose PVC but you may have a tough time fitting a drill in between the shelves. If you go the silicone route acrylic could be an option also.

2 Likes

Appreciate all the replies! Thankfully my collection is small right now and everyone is in their own Sterilite tubs on top of UTH so I wouldn’t have to worry about it curing. The screw idea is great, I’ll have to look into paneling/where to find proper size. Heard the gap measurement varies between individual racks so will wait to see what the one I get is like.

Thanks again for the replies!

The answer is binder/bulldog clips and fluted polypropylene sheets. You can cut them to size and clip in place.

2 Likes

Appreciate the reply! Where would you recommend getting the sheets from and do you know if they’re easier to cut? And would you just binder clip them on the front?

1 Like

I think they can be found at most home improvement stores. Shouldn’t be too hard to cut as it’s the same material things like yard signs are made out of. I’d say try clipping in front and if you find that’s not secure enough, perhaps just a clip on each side.

1 Like