Clowning around

This has been a reason other people have told me for their lower incubation period. I’ll be happy to hear from you about how quickly your hatchlings take their first couple of meals :smiley:

The course vermiculite looks hella cool lol

2 Likes

So 10 day update - all 5 have shed and 4 have eaten a hopper mouse (the one clown is still holding out)

Here’s some preliminary pictures of the freshly peeled babies (not included are the WT who had aready eaten so I didn’t want to bother him/her and the other leopard butter who was still shedding at the time I was taking pictures)

I already name this one ^ Cranberry

I was pretty sure I had a single gene clown and a leopard clown, but now after they’ve shed out I’m starting to doubt myself. Most of the leopard clowns I’ve seen are more reduced and this little one is super busy looking, so I don’t know anymore. The two clowns look competely different and have a different “color tone”, but are both fairly patterned, and neither looks like any leopard clown I’ve ever seen. If I was helping these snakes buy foundation, I would say one has warm undertones and the other cool undertones, which is weird. Incubation effect maybe? @t_h_wyman thoughts?

At this point I’m convinced neither is a leopard clown, but that they’re not the same thing, which doesn’t add up

9 Likes

Polygenetic effects would account for them being the same morph combos while still being different in phenotype. Though I do wonder if you might have some type of subtle Granite-esqe gene floating around in there, especially given the Butter Leopards are also a fair bit divergent phenotypically

1 Like

To me looks like there is a gene cleaning it up and giving it a subtle color change.

1 Like

Once they are done digesting in a day or two I will try to get pictures of the two clowns and the two leopard butters side by side in natural light

1 Like

Love the clowns. They look incredible.

Thank you!! While I cannot believe their audacity to not be leopard clowns, I love the little guys

I grabbed some more pictures in natural light this morning, and tried to make up for my abysmal hatchling photography skills with sheer quantity

Regular clown vs funky clown

Leopard butter gang

While I easily dismissed the variations in the leopard butters as natural variation, it’s much harder to do with the clowns…

10 Likes

I still think you have something subtle hitchhiking along here that accounts for the difference both in the Clowns and the Butter Leopards

1 Like

I’m in agreement :100:

1 Like

Your pictures are amazing, they came out beautiful.

3 Likes